1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E60 motor replacement

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tjctransport, Dec 13, 2013.

1. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

the motor on my E60 shorted out on me today.
    worked fine on monday, today when i went to lift the plow it shorts out the solenoid and trips the fault indicator on the touchpad.
    broke out the ohm meter and yup, motor is dead short.

i went to take it off to put the new motor off the shelf on, and the lower motor plate is oxidize seized to the pump housing.

anyone have any idea on hoe to remove this plate from the pump?

i would rather get it off and do it rite, but if push come to shove i will have to try to get the new motor mated to the old lower plate stuck in the pump. .

2. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

ussmileyflag .put pump in vise, take a hammer and chisel and beat on it .go around it and side to side it will come off . then clean with drill and wire brush, put antiseeze on bolts when you put new motor on. I just did 1 today . I hope your bolts didn't break off like the one i had to fix for a guy today .pain in the butt ,you wont hurt pump beat and pry. you will get it .:drinkup:

3. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

use a crow's foot style pry bar through the bearing hole if the bearing came off with the armature and pull. it will pop right off.

4. tjctransport

good info. thanks. yes the bearing came out with the armature, i will hit it with the crows foot pry bar. .
    and no, the bolts did not break.
    i already tried beating the snot out of it last night. i stopped because the chisel started disfiguring the plate and figured if i had to reuse it i did not want to mess it up so bad it would not seal on the new motor.

5. tjctransport

well the roller head bar did the trick. thanks. now to warm up again and then put the new motor on.

i got this pump 3 years ago as a package deal. plow, pump, blade, and ford superduty mounts for $400
    with the pump freshly rebuilt. i sold the LT 90 blade for $400, so the rest was free.
    i see after popping the motor base off that it has made in china tag on it.

the shelf motor is a genuine meyer part.

6. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I just went through the same thing .... I would keep your old motor it may just need the brushes replaced if the armature is in good shape That plate had me baffled as well until I watched a you tube video to see how to remove it

7. tjctransport

the china motor is going to the local rebuilder up the road a bit. he does all my electric motors.
    i have never had one of his motors fail. ever. the alternator he built for me back in 1989 for my F-Superduty is still going strong, after close to 480,000 miles.

8. tjctransport

well, new motor is on. but i get the warning light pop up on the tough pad as soon as i hit any button. disconnect the motor positive wire and no light. hook the positive back up and as soon as i hit and of the 4 buttons the motor power engages for a second then the warning light again.

any ideas of what to look for??

9. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

make sure you check/clean the grounds, and report back. by the way, was that china motor the original single lug fenner?

10. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

2 pole or 1 pole motor?

11. racer47

racer47 Senior Member

I will have to try the crows feet trick next time thanks for info

12. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

if it is a two pole, make sure you have the negative in the right spot and also have the jumper wire going from negative terminal to grounding spot on base.

13. tjctransport

not sure what you mean by one pole and 2 pole motor.
    they have a positive power lug on the side of the motor just like the motors on the E-47 do. ground wire is on the pump housing.

ground connection on the pump and frame are both clean, that was the first thing i checked

14. Fourtrax250R

Fourtrax250R Senior Member

Sounds like you have the single lug fenner motor that originally came on the E-60's before they switched two a dual lug iskra motor. Amazing it lasted this long! Check your ground for the touchpad... Would be somewhere under the hood, an orange wire coming out of the main harness. Also check/clean/fluid film connections at under hood solenoid.

15. tjctransport

what are fluidfilm connections?.
    never heard of them.
    under hood solenoid works fine if power wire is removed from motor. it will stay engaged. it only drops out and gives the warning light when motor power wire is hooked up

i just put a meyer motor on. stamped rite into the case.
    no idea what the other one was fenner or iskra(never heard of them either)besides made in china tag on the base plate.

the old pump i took the meyer motor off of last year and had rebuilt was bought new, and there really was nothing wrong with the motor, but i always have them gone over before putting in stock.
    the E-47's motors and pumps on the 3 79's and the 88 are all original too. all i do is change the fluid before the season starts.
    i have only had one pump go bad, and that was the E-60 i took off the 02 last year because it would no longer hold the plow up.
    i was going to go through it over the summer, but forgot to do it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  16. tjctransport

it's fixed!!

yesterday working on it in the snow, i missed where the ground wire was pinched when they put the new springs on a few years ago, and was extremely corroded inside the jacket.

new ground wire and all is good again.

i just baffles me how it worked perfectly monday and then nothing on thursday though.
    i guess the gremlins decided i was in too good a mood to not mess with.