1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e60 lacking power to stack

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tony0713, Dec 28, 2013.

1. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

I'm new to the e60 as my previous truck had the e47 on it. my e60 seems to not have enough power to pull up the plow with a pile of snow on it to stack. if I time it right it can but if I have a pile just in front I can't lift unless I back up and relieve some pressure off the plow. also while pushing snow it can't angle side to side without slowing or stopping the truck. the previous owner told me the pump had a recent rebuild and I changed the fluid and filter last year. could the pressure need to be adjusted?

my old truck was a s10 with only a 6 or 6.5 (can't remember) my current truck is a f250 diesel. could my old truck might not of had this problem because it was a smaller lighter plow?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not much I can really say without knowing what pressure it is at. But if you are pushing heavy wet snow it is not going to lift once you have already packed the snow into the pile. Also you have a lot more truck pushing against the plow now. Even my xv won't lift a pile of snow if I am already up against it.

3. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

A tired electric motor or bad packing in the lift cylinder could cause this as well.

4. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

could it be bad ground/power connections or corrosion where the pump and motor meet? I might take the motor off and take a look in there and clean all the connections.

5. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

could be that, too, but likely factor is that the pump motor has so much corrosion inside that it cannot spin fast enough. Do the lights and heater/electronics in the truck draw down a lot when you engage the pump?

as always, start with cleaning wires. Do not be surprised when you take the motor off if you break the studs holding the motor to the pump housing/motor mount plate, and do not be surprised if you need a new motor. They are not cheap.

When was the last time fluid was changed? pump tank cleaned?

6. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

the trucks electronics draw down but not as much to be worried I don't think. the fluid and filter are fresh from last year. I might try and clean the contacts first so I don't break anything since there is a storm heading my way.

7. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

I would definitely opt for taking it apart after the storm. You don't want to be caught with your pants down. There are two filters by the way. one on the front lower port, one in the rear port. Both should be clean.

One thing I always recommend, if nothing else, is to pull the top cap and reseal the lift cylinder as well as hone it, and while you're in there, pull the drain plug and brake clean the crap out of it. Guaranteed that there is gunk built up that could clog the pump. This is a minimal cost approach that will net the best results

8. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

If the pump is relieving then no amount of maintenance or more power will help you lift snow. If this is the case it'll make the same sound in the bank as it does when it's fully raised and still pushing up on the stick/button. You must check relief pressure if you really think it's not lifting like it should. The newer truck sounds as though it has a heavier plow, thus less lifting capacity. If the motor is actually stalling then you have work to do before testing relief pressure. My E47 won't lift when fully pushed into a wet bank either. Starting to lift before slamming the bank helps a lot on those banks that the blade won't ride up on it's own.