1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E58H help, looking for info

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Jan 25, 2014.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Long story short I was lifting my truck this morning at a buddies garage and the lift arm of my plow frame caught a beam as I was lifting it on the lift (garage wasn't really designed to have a lift). The ram was up a couple of inches and there must have been tremendous pressure on it, it pushed it in and now I have leaking fluid at the quick connect on the back side. I may have cracked that quick connect so I picked up a new set today, It's nasty out right now and don't want to unscrew it to look it over.

To the point! As I was inspecting the lower part of the E 58H I noticed a hole on the back side of the lower pump housing, it is a smooth bore, doesn't seem to have been threaded. I have never noticed this hole, it could have been there all along, just looking to see if anyone has a pic of that side of the pump. As it's mounted, looking from the front of my truck, the motor is on the left so there is one quick connect on the back and one on the front (male is on back).

Any help appreciated, it's snowing like crazy right now :mechanic:

I know, I know, what was I doing with the plow frame on the truck, it's a homemade mount I call the 5 minute mount, I just hitch plow like old days.
    dave

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Is it possible it could be the relief valve? And if it is, how is it held in? I see no sign of threads.
    thanks,
    dave

3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

That hole was used with old style valve blocks. The is where the A valve went. The newer style blocks put all three valves in the block. Most likely meyer used same old casting for sump base and just that part unmachined.

5. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Thanks for the info, I feel better now.
    Do you think I could have damaged something else?
    I'm hoping I can limp through tomorrow with it until I can get it in a heated garage to work on it.
    dave

6. kimber750

Only things you may have damaged are lift tube o ring, A valve or check valve. Does the plow stay up? Is everything else working?

7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I haven't hooked the plow on yet, I plan on changing the quick connect in the morning and then put the plow on. I have a few driveways I have to plow in the am.
    Thanks again for you help
    dave

8. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Hole is where a valve was on e47

If you bent or cracked the quick connect, you probably moved the can (reservoir) enough to have some serious issues with seals.

Can you post some pics up of the pump?

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

The quick connect didn't come in contact with anything, it's on the rear of pump block. It was a straight up thing, freak accident if you will.
    Just to be clear, the plow was not on, no hoses on my pump when plow is off.
    dave

10. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Good news, all is working well today! Thanks for the help.
    The only thing I did was tighten the connection, there is an adapter between the block and the male quick connect, the adapter has an o-ring on it. I added about 2 cups of fluid and all seems to be working normal with no leaking.
    dave

11. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Remember that that quick connect is 2 pieces, and the adapter is one of them. Inside are a spring and cross plate as well as a pin, so don't lose any parts by accident when you mess with them

12. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

OK, new dilemma, today plowing big storm, my pump has slowed to a crawl!
    It raises very slowly and angles very slowly.
    Is it possible that the internal strainer could be plugged?
    I took the pump off today and pulled all valves, reliefs etc and blew everything out. I didn't find anything out of place. I have been searching the net and someone posted that the internal strainer could be plugged, they cleaned theirs and it worked for them.

I'm not opposed to pulling it again in the am and taking the reservoir off and having a look.

the other thing I'm thinking is that the motor is going south. It seems to spin fine but that's just my guess. Does this sound feasible? How do I test the draw? An ammeter on the terminals as it's trying to lift?

I suppose taking the tank off and checking it is cheaper than buying a new motor.

FYI, the power unit was new last year and has plowed very little.
    Thanks in advance :mechanic:
    thanks,
    dave

13. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Pull the bolts from motor and take off. If corroded between pump with a ton of gunk, replace motor.

Definitely could be strainer, but sounds like a bad set of brushes.

Tighten the bolts for motor a little bit before loosening them. Should keep them from breaking off.

If you need to clean strainer, a basic seal kit will be needed...both tank o rings, cylinder base and top o ring, new packing, new wipe seal, and all 3 nytite washers

14. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

jeepcoMJ, thanks for the quick response.
    I forgot to mention that I pulled the motor today and sprayed it with electro-clean, it didn't look bad at all, no corrosion in it or anything. As I say the unit has very little use on it.
    As far as the seals, I believe I have most everything on hand.

We are supposed to be getting another storm this weekend:confused:
    thanks again,
    dave

15. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Call me anytime tomorrow if you need a hand. Phone number in website in my sig. Can also text to that number if u aren't sure on something.

16. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Will do, thanks again.
    dave

17. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

jeepCOMJ, do you thing I could have blown an internal seal at the bottom of ram from my original accident at the beginning of this thread?

thanks,
    dave

18. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

^^^^^^
    this

plow does stay up, everything works, just sloooooooooow :mechanic:
    dave

19. kimber750

Check the filters. What does fluid look like?

20. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Does blade go up, down, and turn one direction?

If so, only 2 possibilities. Failed c valve, or failed quick connect.