1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E57H question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ksgcapecod, Jan 23, 2014.

1. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I have a Meyers E57H motor/pump mounted on a 2013 GMC 2500HD that was purchased a few months ago. Last storm had no issues. This past storm the plow has been raising and angling a lot slower than normal and the voltage meter in the truck it will drop from normal to around 10. It will then take a couple minutes to recharge itself up to normal. I put on a new motor last year so that shouldn't be the issue. Looking for anyone with knowledge to help he determine what the next part to replace is. Thanks.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Dirty connections. Alternator dieing. Battery dieing. Is it really cold there? What fluid is in the pump? Bunch of snow stuck to plow? I would start with alternator since the gauge doesn't bounce right back.

3. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

I don't believe it's any of the mentioned problems. I purchased the truck new and it only has 4200 miles on it. I use the blue fluid available at NAPA and drained everything out prior to this season. The place I purchased the plow advised that it was the cold weather (9-15 degrees) past few days. He added that he had 15-20 trucks come in with their fluid freezing up and plows running slowly. I had the old red Meyer fluid in my plow several years ago and it would freeze up all the time even though it was changed yearly. Since I have went with the blue fluid no freeze up but apparently the extreme cold will make the motor work harder and cause the voltage drain.

4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Plow fluid will not cause the volt gauge to take a few minutes to come back up to normal. Put voltmeter on the battery with truck off. Then check again with truck running. Running should be over 14 volts.

5. brett.archer

brett.archer Junior Member

may need a higher output alternator depending on the other stuff that is pulling off of the battery. Also just because the truck and plow are new, that doesnt mean the installers didnt get something tightened down just so. Or it may have rattled loose.

6. rocklandls

rocklandls Junior Member

Check your square connectors..they get dirty quick

7. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

look at the capacity of the battery, prob not much reserve....the plow needs reserve

8. HDPOWER

HDPOWER Junior Member

9. condo plow

condo plow Senior Member
    from chicago

No matter if the truck is new or used. The battery and alternator is only to run your stock truck. If you wanna stop having power issues install a seconded battery and upgrade to a 120 amp alternator....

You say it take a few min. To come back to normal sounds to me within those few mins. Your battery is recharging.