1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E57 red overload LED

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by advanced, Sep 19, 2007.

1. advanced

advanced Junior Member

Plow works great left & right, up & down. But my red overload LED lights, after about 30 seconds, when I put control arrow down into "sailing mode.
    I have to reset power switch to make light go out, & use plow again.
    What is wrong? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The red overload light coming on on the touchpad controller can be caused by a few things, but since you mentioned that it only does it while the control is in the "float" position, theirs a good chance the your problem is in the wiring that controls the A coil or the A coil itself. Check all the electrical connections first, this includes the plug under the dash where the controller plugs into the main plow harness and the connection out at the pump, checking them for corrosion or a damaged pin inside the connector. If it all looks good then I'd replace the A coil on the pump (the A coil is the one near the bottom of the pump with the black wire). The A coils can fail enough to cause too much resistance in the wiring back to the controller which will read as an "over load" to the controller.
  3. advanced

advanced Junior Member

Thanks B&B. I checked all the wiring connections & all was fine. Problem was indeed a bad "A" coil. I replaced it & I'm back in business.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good deal and thanks for the update...sounds like your all fixed up, all we need now is snow.:)
  5. advanced

advanced Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy OEM Meyer parts on line, such as one of those "A" coils. I saw some aftermarket units, but I don't know if I should trust them. Thanks.
  6. tree bizz

tree bizz Junior Member

I think I know why it's called the A coil !!

I have a E-57 and have had that same thing happen twice now.The second time it progressivelly got worse until it finally just would'nt go down even after I reset the control.My advice is to keep a spare in the glove box.I learned the hard way this last time at 3:00 a.m.Won't happen again though,I bought two this time.Cheap insurance for $18.00
    I don't know if this is true but one of the meyers dealers here told me the S.A.M. brand A coil is a better replacement than the original meyers.He had both in stock so I don't think he had anything to gain by telling me that.