1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E4oD tranny question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Brian Young, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I did a search with no results so I am asking in hear. I just had my tranny rebuilt its a E4OD tranny out of a 94 F-150 heavy half ton. The question I have is to any other Ford owners, when plowing I always come to a complete stop before switching to reverse. But when I shift into reverse it still "bangs" into reverse to where it shakes the whole truck 70% of the time the other 30% seem to be very smooth and discrete. Before I had the tranny rebuilt it did the same thing but thats not why the tranny was rebuilt. Is this a "normal condition" or should I look into taking it back. I paid $1600.00 to have it rebiult as a Heavy duty tranny but I don't want it to fail 11 months from now when the warranty is out.

2. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Rebuilder

Have you spoken to your rebuilder about the problem?

3. daninline

daninline Senior Member

have you looked at your motor mounts and trans mounts and all u joints.

But i bet it could be a bad mount and the motor is jumping when you shift the truck.

4. Bob Church

Bob Church Member

Good suggestion

That's a good suggestion to look at the other components in the drivetrain.

5. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

check, the rear diff, u joints, tail shaft, and stub shaft, also might wanna look into the motor/ trans mounts, id never thought of that, good luck, my old truck did it to, and boy was it ever annoying

6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

There are quite a few things that can cause you symptoms. I would take it back after checking the fluid level, so it is covered under warranty. I would not be surprised if something was missed in the rebuild. The cost you said you paid was a very low dollar rebuild for a E4OD.
    Low fluid level
    Electronic engine control operation
    As was said, worn or loose u-joints, yoke, axles, or suspension
    Loose valve body bolts
    Engagement control valve stuck or damaged
    CB13 check valve missing
    Direct clutch accumulator, and regulator valves
    Forward clutch assembly damaged seals, or clutch material
    Reverse clutch leakage
    Excessive trans end play

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for the replies. I looked at it and it seems to be in the rear end now. Its making a wicked clunk but you can see the rear diff. banging when it goes into reverse. This truck is killinkg me!:angry: :angry: