1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E4OD running warmer after rebuild , HELP

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by swampfox44, Mar 7, 2004.

1. swampfox44

swampfox44 Junior Member

I have a '94 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Turbo diesel,had a factory Ford reman tranny installed last year, installed a Hayden HD 30,000 GVW stacked plate cooler also.I normally tow between 7,500 and 15,000 lbs.Trans normally runs between 160 and 185 degrees fully loaded during summer months (95 degrees) and A/C on.I just had a front pump seal begin leaking,I had my transmission shop check it out,they said tranny was in excellent condition looked like new,suggested only replacing pump and a new convertor and installing a Transgo shift kit.Well,since getting it back,my trans temp has jumped to 180-195 degrees with no load(normally 140-160)outside temp is 70 degrees and can't tow as temp shoots up to 210-240 degrees.Also,all my shifts are soft,not as firm as they previously were.Have gone back several times and he says it shows no codes and can not give me an explanation.He said it may have been MLP sensor and have had it replaced and still no change.Most of my job consists of towing of some sort and I seem to be getting no where with this guy.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

I have a buddy with the same tranny & the same problem, Ford tells him there is nothing wrong with it. I told my buddy to drive it like there's nothing wrong with it. ( and he does)....
  3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Ford rebuilds are not the best rebuilds for a E4OD. An aftermarket t/c would be the best which Ford does not use. Ford E4OD t/c's are lousy. A 4R100 is a good cheap upgrade. What engine do you have, PSD or IDI turbo? At 1994 yours is considered to be an early version so there are a lot of upgrades that need to be done. I am on my 5th rebuild, I did the last one myself cuz there were no local shops that knew what they were doing. At the time going to AR, or FL. was not an option. There are only a few shops in the country that I trust. A real good aftermarket rebuild and t/c will run between $3-4000, yes they are not cheap but bullet proof. I agree @70* and empty you are running too hot. Here are some links.
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2004
  4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

they probably replaced the converter with a "tow-haul" converter, it will up the rpm from stock and raises temps