1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E4od questions

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by gearjockey550, May 26, 2009.

1. gearjockey550

gearjockey550 Junior Member
    from Vermont

I have a 1993 f350 7.3 w E4OD just recently i started noticing like a vibration around 25-35 mph range ,then progressed to a sound sorta like a dry ujoint but then sometimes sounds like a chatter yesterday took it for a drive with a friend to help listen to see what he thought started off with the noises then for a good 5 mile loop i pulled everything seemed almost normal then made the turn back up the road to my place and it started again..over drive isn't good so i have removed the switch so it doesn't turn it on the truck has 161,000 i have had it machine flushed twice in the last 3 years but havn't changed the filter that i am going to do this week as the fluid is not red but its not burnt up either i'm hoping that its just the filter is a lil clogged or the fluid has simply lost its viscosity. anyone have any experiences of this nature / any suggestions this last winter i had some brutal uphill driveways i plowed and run with a good ton to a ton an a half of sand on board for sanding and weight for traction and pushing

2. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Try the following urls if you haven't already. Lots of FORD gurus there:

www.ford-trucks.com

www.oilburners.net

www.dieselstop.com

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  3. gearjockey550

from Vermont

thanks

Thanks for the heads up on the other links have asked at the ford.com one and i hope to hear some answers from people who maybe have had similar noises and found the problem.

4. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Hey, no problem, that's what it's all about :)

5. gearjockey550

from Vermont

update on my noise issue

I decided to change my ujoints even though they were not that old come to find out had a dry cross in one and it solved the intermitent noise and the vibration at 30mph problem when pulling the hills so learned a lil bit more today that a dry joint can cause vibrations funky chattering and isn't noisy all the time this is the 3 rd set of joints in this truck in the past it started with that crisp snap at take off and worked to that lil chirping sound with the rotation of the shaft,that and being not that old i didn't feel the joints should be an issue but i was wrong. Thanks for the help

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Good thing your tranny is OK. They can be a expensive rebuild most times.
    Try not to buy the cheapest parts. I have run into problems in the past with cheap tie rods and U-Joints. They don't last and you re-visit the job in a year! I stay away from auto zone anymore.

7. gearjockey550

from Vermont

damn skippy on the cheap parts..lol

yeah was the case my friend i went back to the precision brand joints those cheapy's lasted just over a year..so went back to the good ones as i'm not always perfect at getting under there amd greasing them as i should and during the winter i did grease them but probably the severe cold prevented the grease from getting to all the crosses like it should have.well live n learn for sure .

8. MickiRig1

Buy the best brake pads and shoes too.They most times have a life time guaranty. If you keep a vehicle as long as I do, it pays off in the end.Keep a file of all you receipts / repairs for your vehicle. Most computers systems at part stores only keep the records for 3 years or less. My wife's Windstar's front brake pads wore out. She threw out all the receipts because they were over 3 years old ! -- I WAS PISSED!!!
    Note to self, self hide the file.

9. gearjockey550

from Vermont

you bet i save the reciepts

thanks for the imfo on the saving reciepts for warranty that one i have learned this spring it saved me over $300 when i replaced my moog tierods under lifetime warranty they were 6 years old and like you said the store didn't have the records,lol but I did also the prev year i saved on the moog ball joints yeah the price of trucks and the fact they're getting cheaper made makes me take care of my 93 for sure ,looked at a new f350 dump with a 9' fisher and was gonna set me back 42,000 i decided for now i like not having that truck payment,lol I just purchased a 88 3/4 gmc one owner with 161,000 never had a plow on it and is really solid very little rust has been well kept,fella simply had too many vehicles had just bought two jeeps and the wife was making him get rid of two so i bought that one for 700 bucks and i will use that for the summer to do my refuse business that i have and get the ford into shape for the upcoming winter. have a great day friend

10. gearjockey550

from Vermont

just want to thank everybody for their input here this place is awsome

so glad i found this place, full of imfo to help a man stay in touch with the issues facing anyone in the snow removal business for sure.

11. MickiRig1

We are here to help our fellow MAN stuff / snow plow addicts!