1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47H Blows fuse when in float?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Nascar24, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

I have a E47H pump, it angles fine, lifts but when I go into down or float it blows the control fuse, this is with a set of electro touch control switches, which are brand new.. I also tried it with a touch pad control, it will lift angle ok, but once I hit the down the red light comes on/

I'm thinking bad "A" coil? ,A valve? or both?

All suggestions are welcome.

thanks

Jay

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I'm thinking you have a short in your wiring.......the wire going to your "A" coil. Unplug the "A" coil and try it...that will tell you if the short is in the wire or the coil

3. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks for the response,

Well after two different harnesses, and getting the same results, one harness is brand new and the switches are brand new, I disconnected the black a-coil wire and the fuse doesn't blow.I hooked up a test light and it lights up when I go into float, fuses still good. I'm leaning toward the coil, so I'm going to disconnect the coil from the valve, and see what happens. Does anyone know of any test proceedures for the coil?

thanks
    Jay

4. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Hook a 12 volt source to the coil when its still on the valve....you should hear the valve click .......also, when it is energized, if you hold a screwdriver near it, it should be magnetized.......If it does this, its working. Check the wire where it goes into the coil....it may be shorting out where it goes through the rubber....You may be able to repair it with tape or silicone for now.

5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hooked up hot wire to coil lead and no click, just a spark, like it is shorting at the coil or a-valve?

so I need to know how to test the coil or a-valve?, Is there a resistance test I can perform on the coil or valve?

Thanks

Jay

6. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Its the coil that is shorting.........Do an ohm test between the wire and the body of the coil.....it will be "0" if its shorting....will show lots of resistance if not (not sure how much)....The spark tells you its shorting...Can you see where the spark came from?...If its right where the wire goes into the housing, you can probably move it enough not to short to try the valve.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The short is in the coil Jay. The valve has no impact on it.

Take a DVOM and test between the wire and the coil, should be 10 OHM or less but I think you'll find it's shorted anyway. Happens quite often and it's due to the heat generated from being in float for long periods of time..

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Thanks Guys!

Tomorrow I'll pick up a coil, they're cheap enough. I typically have a few kicking around but ran out of the large hole type, so, I'll throw one and hopefully be done with this one.

Jay

9. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

All set guys ! I put a New A coil on and it works like a charm!

Thanks again

Jay

10. TOny80

TOny80 Junior Member
    from NJ

Im having the same problem. E47 with stick control. When its in float boom fuse blows. up, left, right no problem. 3 seconds in float and fuse blows. I dissconnected the a coil nothing blew reconnected and fuse blew. i was plowing fine. I got out left stick in float position and truck running got for like 2 hours to snow blow. got back in and nothing. Im going to change a coil. I got my fingers crossed. you guys have more brains then most techs i callled.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The A coils will fix it Tony. And just a tip to make the new one last longer, don't leave it in float unless you're actually using the plow. Creates less heat in the coil thus greatly lengthens its life.