1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

FRANLANDRY1 Junior Member

I just bought a truck and it came with a meyers plows and it goes up and down very slow any ideas im not good with meyers im a fisher guy thanks for help me
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A slow drop is normal (unless it's EXTREMELY slow), you're just not used to an E47.

Slow lift is caused my many things...

1) Weak battery
    2) Poor power or ground connection(s) including corrosion buildup between the motor and pump housing.
    3) Weak under hood solenoid.
    4) Restricted filters
    5) Low/contaminated fluid.
    6) Weak/internally corroded motor.

FRANLANDRY1 Junior Member

Yes its extremely slow up and down but not back left/right
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It takes very little power or hydro pressure to angle, it takes much much more to lift so that's why they'll angle fine but lift slow when there's a pump, motor, or electrical issue.

The check list still applies with your extras details, but start with either checking or having checked the pump PSI output and if it's ok start with the electrical side of things..which is what the list is mostly comprised of anyway.

If it really is that slow to drop. clean the filter(s) in the front of the unit behind the hex plug(s) first and if there's no improvement next remove the A valve from the rear of the unit and check it's screen for debris which will restrict the fluid form escaping the lift cylinder when dropped. If these still no imprivement replace the A valve.

This unit probably needs a full service anyway. Fluids and filters are probably long overdue as with most.
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Full service, flush it well with Hydra-Flush (see a Meyer dealer) and fill with fresh premium snowplow fluid. As per the most recent Meyer service school, remove all the filters except the sump filter (inside the tank.) They say this helps to reduce flow restriction and that the sump filter provides sufficient filtration. Clean all the electrical contacts as well and make sure you are drawing 12 volts directly from the battery.
  6. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

I had my E47 raise and drop slowly when my lift piston bent somehow. It bent on the end where it necks down to a 3/8" or so threaded rod to bolt the packing nut on. I figured this out because the piston would not slide in and out easily by hand once the top cap of the tank was put on. It's a long shot but if you can't slide your piston in and out by hand with the necessary valves removed check for bent piston. I was able to fix mine with some careful work in the hydraulic press.
  7. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Everything that people have posted so far makes complete sense. If you're interested in sending it out, I'd go see Steve at Advanced Truck Accessories on Rt 12 in Fitchburg. He deals with all different plows, especially Meyers and Fisher. That's normally where I go to get all of my parts. Good luck!