1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 won't lower after changing oil?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by NewtothePlow, Dec 6, 2007.

1. NewtothePlow

NewtothePlow Junior Member

Let me first say that i am a virgin to the snowplow. I had to move up from the tractor with a blade and now I'm hung up. Bought an old dodge with this E47...wasa stuck to the right but would go up and down. I had to remove plow and then changed oil in pump (up position). I went to hook it up tonite and can't get it to lower...even with pressure on the cylinder. Am I missing something? Is there something different I should have done?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Since you removed the pump from the truck to service it, it could be as simple as the wire to the A coil (one with the black wire, controls lower, located on the rear of the pump) might not be making contact. Check the "A" coil for magnetism with a screwdriver with the control in the lower or float position to see if it has magnetism. If it dosen't "pull" on the screwdriver, then it's probably due to the wire connection at A coil, since it did work up until you removed it.....

Be very careful if the blade is on the truck and hanging in the air as you do this test.
    If the A valve suddenly comes alive, it's gonna drop the blade without warning..

3. NewtothePlow

Only removal of plow blade

i only removed the snow plow blade. i left the pump on the truck and changed the oil on there. i never unhooked any of the wires to any of it. i will go check for magnetism to the A coil though. Thanks

4. NewtothePlow

Update

Just an FYI that i do have power to the A coil. The screw driver is drawn by the magnetism. Any other thoughts?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Remove the A coil and unscrew the A valve out of the pump (have a drain pan under it). Now slowly push the lift arm down....

Note:
    fluid should come out of the valve hole where you removed the valve from in the pump, so be ready for a bit of a mess here....

Does it go down when you manually push the lift arm down with the valve removed?

6. NewtothePlow

After the snow

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll try that tomorrow after I get the snow cleared off of it.

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Are you trying to put it down with the plow back on or with just the pump. You may need to give yourself a little extra leverage with a pry bar to get it down. This shouldn't be needed with a properly working pump, but if you are having issues who knows what else could be up.

8. NewtothePlow

Lift arm is now down...is my a valve bad?

okay, i took the pump off. pulled the a valve and put my body weight on it and forced the oil out and the cylinder down. so, does that mean i have a malfunctioning valve?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

More than likely yes... if you first checked the coil for magnetism before you removed the pump and it had it...

10. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

You filled it in the up position.... The valve is prolly good. Just too much fluid with nowhere to go. You need to fill the pump with the ram fully collapsed in the down position.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it won't collapse because it's overfull, then the vent on the fill plug is stuck closed... otherwise it would just push the excess fluid out the vent....

12. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Alot of Meyer pumps don't have a vent on the fill plug...

13. NewtothePlow

No Vented Plug

This particular unit doesn't have a vented plug. The "A" coil magnetized previously and I haven't had a problem with unit moving up and down until i changed oil. So...I can almost assume I have an air lock b/c I'm not exactly sure how to bleed the air on this pump. I've put the "A" solenoid assembly back on and am going to fill the cylinder up with oil and the ram down. What might be the trick to ensuring the air is out?

14. NewtothePlow

Update

Ok, so I did manage to get the the plow to lift. thanks for all your help in that matter. However, when I bought this plow I knew it had been stuck to the right for awhile...the previous owner had said that it would hang up every now and then before. So i pulled the pickup side bolt on the cylinder, removed the fitting, and attempted to compress the left cylinder. I even used a come-along and a hammer and can't get it to release. i imagine it's rusted inside...does that sound right?