1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 wont lift or angle, just clicks

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jibberlo, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

Hi, my dad's meyers e47 started acting like the motor was going bad this morning. it was working fine till half way through a job and it wouldn't lift or angle. we replaced the motor with a new meyers motor and nothing. it would just make a clicking sound and the lights on the control pad would go out when pressed and cause the motor to die if you hold the button down long enough. so we replaced the soleniod and it still does the same thing. so we replaced the power wire and ground wire and it's still doing the same thing.

I been searching the net all day trying to find out what i should do next. the old motor we took off was tight, we tried to turn the motor after it was off but it was locked up. im lost here on this plow, i was hoping someone could help me out on this.

Thank You.
    Rob.

2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

Did you try turning the pump drive when you had the motor off?...Sounds to me, the pump may be seized.

3. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

no i didn't, but when i held the drop button and pushed the arm down and then hit the raise button and picked up the arm it would hold it up half way. if that makes sense. I will try that first thing in the morning.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it needs the orange ground wire for the touch pad cleaned/replaced/repaired. The touch pads require an excellent ground to function correctly.

Also be sure the motor solenoid has good ground too. A small gauge ground wire from one of the mounting bolts directly to the negative battery terminal is always a wise idea, and especially so when running a touch pad style controller.

5. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

the plow moved about 3inches this morning, but then started clicking. im going to check the orange wire, and try to jump the motor with some cables and see if that works. i think its all in my ground wire because the ground wire's getting hot.

6. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

i took the motor off and turned the pump drive by hand easy, so im guessing that means the isn't locked up. i put a new solenoid on it and still nothing. the fluid level in the pump is about 1/2 in to 1 inch from top.

we been plowing all morning with it though, put a floor jack under it to lift it and drop it. it looks stupid using a floor jack to raise and lower a plow but we cleared all our lots.

7. mowtivationsLLC

mowtivationsLLC Junior Member

im having the same problem as you are with my western plow. Just bought a new solenoid and hoping that works. this is frustrating as hell

8. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

It's horrible, the time it takes to jack the blade up and then go to another job and drop it takes forever. If I can't get it fixxed, I'm just going to hook a winch on it and use that as the pump.

9. mowtivationsLLC

nope...solenoid didnt work. on to the store to buy a motor :-(

10. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I would put power to the motor you have through a set of jumper cables or the like , it will let you know if the motor you have is good or not . Carefully , if it is good it will angle left, don't be in the way .

Truthfully it sounds like a ground issue , like B&B said , check the orange ground wire of the touchpad harness along with all other connections .

TOM

11. dchr

dchr Senior Member

As others have said-have you checked ALL the grounds yet? Start with that before doing anything else. Most of the time it is something small and stupid like that-where in the end you end kicking yourself and feeling like an idiot (ask me how I know:blush2:)

12. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

it will angle left and right, when i hit the lift button it angles to the left. im gonna check in a second after i warm up if the orange wire all the way. i went over the ground 5 times now but a 6th wont hurt.

I had a bad ground on my race car over the summer we had to go through all the wires and then finally the ground was broken.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You didn't state that originally and is a very important detail to the diagnosis..

That is an issue with either getting the command to the B coil, the B coil is bad, or the B valve is stuck. Checking the B coil for magnetism is the first place to start.

14. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

sorry, it just started angling after i messed with the wires and motor. i put the old solenoid on it and started messing with the wires and then it started angling left right and left.

15. mowtivationsLLC

i'll be damned. after changing the solenoid, the fluid, the motor and wiring ....my 2nd battery was dead. guess thats why when i hooked it directly to the battery it didnt do anything.

16. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

good, atleast one of us got our system running. i traced the orange wire and everything was/seemed fine. i guessing it's the coil, now there's 3 so is there a specif one that runs the pump up and down? i'm also getting fluid coming out the top of the pump where the bar is that lifts the plow so a seal is bad.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  17. mowtivationsLLC

good luck. i know its frustrating. took me 3 days and over 200.00 to figure out. i just bought the battery brand new not even a month ago so that never even crossed my mind. i was changing the terminal on the primary battery and went to warm up the truck without that battery being hooked up and the truck wouldnt start. thats the only reason i found out the battery was dead. now i have to figure out why that battery isnt charging. I have no clue about coils. fluid at the top of the pump can be fixed easily. its the not wanting to move thats a b%#!@

18. jibberlo

jibberlo Junior Member
    from PA

I'm around $300 + - sum, 2 days. atleast i know that thing is working even if its just going left to right. i need a B coil and valve for it, hopfully that will solve my problems.

I Thank Everyone that helped me out with this problem.

19. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

note to stop having a dead battery put in a on off switch to the wire to the solenoid from the controls it was happening to me.. after i installed the switch i stooped having a dead battery..

and while ur at it change both valve's never hurts... and remember toque it to the right spec's..

20. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

the spec on the valves is 120 ft lbs.... and take a look at the cross over valve the springs some time's go bad too.. there is 2 little o-rings in it that go bad...