1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 won't angle-- bad couplers?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by lumpysoffroad, Nov 26, 2008.

1. lumpysoffroad

lumpysoffroad Junior Member

I have an E47 pump that was working fine but one of the couplers (the one down on the right angle cylinder) was leaking. I bought new couplers at Tractor Supply Company that were S.A.M. (Snowplow Aftermarket Manufacturing) brand couplers. When I replaced the leaking coupler with the S.A.M. coupler -- the plow would no longer angle to the left. Just for kicks, I then replaced the other coupler (the one on the pump) with the other new S.A.M. coupler and then the plow wouldn't angle left or right. So I took both S.A.M. couplers off and put the originals back on and the plow works fine-- except for the same leak I had before.
    With the male and female S.A.M. couplers connected I can blow through them both ways-- although they seem slightly more difficult to blow through than the originals-- if that means anything.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the S.A.M. couplers to make that happen?:confused:
  2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Did you change all four or just 1 male and 1 female. If you didn't change all of them they probably aren't exactly the same as your old ones and therefore won't flow.
  3. lumpysoffroad

Yes -- I changed all four.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Those aftermarket couplers are well known for being defective right out of the package. Seems that especially lately they've been getting even worse on the quality. Have guys quite often that after changing the QC's they instantly have angling troubles.

Genuine Meyer or Aeroquip couplers are the only way to fly..
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not the only thing aftermarket that is suspect, motors, pumps, valves and coils. All have seemed to have had a quality drop. To busy building Snowdoggs maybe?:rolleyes:
  6. sno&go

sno&go Member

Tell me about it. I bought an aftermarket motor last season for my Meyer E60 pump, 3 days later I had to replace it. It was suggested to me by Angelo's Plow parts that I upgrade to a Meyer "brand" motor for an extra $80.00 and get rid of that pile of junk S.A.M. motor. Well, I'm still running the same Meyer motor and if I need to replace a part I will be using factory authorized parts.
  7. lumpysoffroad

Well I took the original female coupler (the leaking one) and gave a cleaning and changed the o-ring and now the leak is fixed. If I ever have coupler problem again I'll make sure I get the OEM kind--- which in my case appears to be a Pioneer brand.

Thanks for the help.
  8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Is it better or cheaper to get them at a Meyers dealer or on line?
    I have some spares from Tractor Supply but I will use them as paper weights.

9. jdknight75

jdknight75 Senior Member

bad meyer couplers

I bought a brand new meyer this fall, when i hooked the plow up one of the coupler wouldnt go together but you could hook them to the other side just fine those 2 couplers just wouldnt work together, I replaced the bad side with S.A.M and it works just fine. Anybody else have a similiar problem where the couplers just wouldnt go together.
  10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Just for the heck of it, did you replace both the male and female ends with new ones?
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Better? Yes. Cheaper? Not usually...

Another option is to go to a local hydraulic shop and buy genuine Aeroquip (or similar brand) couplers. Not as cheap as the aftermarket stuff...but way more dependable.