1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 With no UP or Down just left and right working?????

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by leadfooter, Dec 2, 2007.

1. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

When I parked my plow truck last spring the plow was working fine it just has a leak on one of the hoses. A bunch of flud drained out over the summer so I refilled the pump. It took about 3/4 of a quart. It has left and right action but no up and down now. I do not even get a pump motor noise just silence. There are two seperate switches in the truck on for left and right and a toggle for up and down. Where do I start. This is my first plow truck so treat me like I know nothing please. Thanks for you help.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Check your lift switch. make sure all the wires are connected.

3. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the reply.
    The wires are still all connected same as last spring.
    Suggestions?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Bad switch

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree bad swich

6. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the replies.
    Seems strange a switch would go bad just sitting over the summer... Is there a way I can bypass the switch to check for sure??

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  7. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

put the wires on angle swich

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Get a test light
    have someone hold the switch to the raise position
    test to see if you get 12v to the white wire at the solenoid
    then put the switch to lower and see if you have 12v at the black wire going to the "A" coil.

if either one doesn't have power and all the wires are plugged in then you have a bad switch

9. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the replies.
    Well I had time today to swap the switches around and now both switches will move it side to side and both will raise it up but neither switch will lower it???????
    I put a wrench on the A coil (black wire ) and it has magnetism when the switch is down.
    What do I do now??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Consider the fact that you might have a bad "A" valve. Be careful if you remove it it's under pressure so fluid WILL SQUIRT OUT UNDER ENOUGH PRESSURE TO CAUSE DAMAGE. So wrap a rag around it and crack it loose until the fluid starts to come out and walk away until the pressure drains.

Then check remove and check the valve

11. leadfooter

leadfooter Member
    from Midwest

Thanks.....I decided to take a hairdryer to it to warm it up (even though its only 25F here today) and It works now in all directions????
    I also added more fluid after I raised and lowered it a few times.
    This is on a 72 Chevy so its old. Do they get gummed up or need coaking after sitting all summer??
    What else should I check if anything??

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Get a couple qt of Hydra-flush and 2 Qts of Meyer fluid and 2 filters from your Meyer dealer.

Drain the pump and rams fill with hydraflush cycle it though all it's functions multiple times. Then drain and refill with fluid installing the new filters.

for more detailed instructions check the meyer web page for the proper guides for your pump.