1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 went slow then ok again?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BPK63, Feb 3, 2007.

1. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

So I'm plowing along fine and all of a sudden the pump goes real slow. I can barely lift the plow. So I push the ram all the way down and check the fluid. When I take the nut off it is foaming out a little. Finally I check the fluid and it's right where it's supposed to be. Start the truck up again and it's fine. I'm wondering what caused this? Everything was flushed and new fluid before winter.

2. loyboy

loyboy Member
    from KCMO

had the same problem w/ mine. had one turn ram leaking a little. tightend it up. then the pump went out. replaced that and now its fine.But mine was generating a LOT of air. Hopefully yours just had a little air that:dizzy: needed to get worked out!

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Cold does things to pumps and connections.Just last nite did not like the batt connection so i replaced the pos side connection. And like a good tech i sanded the term. and connections from the pump and after all that the motor ran but no action with the plow.So its cold but iam in the shop with the heater running so its not so bad. Iam getting mad thinking ice in pump ,bad valve ect. so pull rig out close door and drink a beer :drinkup: Start other trucks go thru checklist and calm down. Pull rig into shop reterm all connections to plow and poof everything works fine. So I guess if it worked fine before its not the functions of the unit its probably the connections of the control wires or the motor is starting to go Recheck all connections and go from there...

4. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Is it possible I had some air? I have no leaks, checked that everywhere, new hoses and couplers. It was foaming when I took the filler plug off though. Kind of just cleared itself up though.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be frozen, they foam like a slushy. Would also explain the slowness. It then works fine when it thaws.

6. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

OK this happened again last night. Was working great for the first hour then it slowed to the point where it would not even lift. I had to do some shoveling so I let the truck idle for about 5 to 10 minutes. Got back in and it was fine again. All fluid was flushed in the fall with Meyer flush and genuine Meyer fluid put back in. New hoses, couplers, no leaks. I checked all the connections, no problems there. I could hear the motor running. Any ideas?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Two things could be causing this, either the motor is weak or it's got ice in the fluid. Now I know you said it was flushed and refilled already but what lead's me to suspect it's still got ice in it is the fact that when you let it set for a while, it begins to work again.What happens is as you use the pump continuously the ice migrates to the internal pickup screen and begins to restrict it. Then when it set's for a short period of time the ice falls to the bottom of the sump again.

8. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

Is there something I can add to the fluid to keep it from icing up if that's the problem? Both times when I left the truck running for 5 to 10 minutes and went back to it, it was working normally again. I would think if the motor was weak it would be slow all the time or slow down quickly as I use it but it runs pretty quick for a long time and then this problem.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can add a few ounces of isopropl alcohol (dry gas) to the fluid. Just remember, the dry gas will only work on the water,it won't help if it's already frozen.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need a new battery(s). No amp hours left in the one(s) you're running. It's all "surface charge" there's no "depth." So your alt. cann't keep up.

11. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

When this happens I was watching the alternator and it did not have a heavy drain on it.

12. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Do you have a battery gauge or amp gauge?
    I also think it's time for a new battery.

13. Whip

Whip Member

How old is the vehicle, battery and charging system? These are all factors needed when asking advice on fixing something that relies on electricity to operate. It's not always the pump itself. Wiring connections must also be taken into consideration.

14. BPK63

BPK63 Senior Member
    from CT

The alt and battery are a year old. Truck is a 92. Seems to be plenty of juice. No problem what so ever cranking the engine over and charges at around 15 volts. I don't even see the lights dim when I work the plow. I even stalled it out and lifted the plow on battery only.