1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 twin toggle upgrade

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Hevy Chevy, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Hevy Chevy

Hevy Chevy Junior Member

Hey guys. Been creeping all over this site for 5 years (since I started plowing commercially) and it's awesome. Great info. I bought an 87 Chevy with a 7 1/2 foot Meyer E47. I went through the whole truck and bullet proofed all systems to make a purpose built plow truck. I have 2 questions and have not been able to find the answers to them any where, hope you guys can help.
    1: Is there a kit to upgrade my Meyer twin toggle switch control to a hand held control? Its a simple 4 function system, looking for something that possibly plugs in to the factory Meyer plugs behind the existing toggles.

2: Been thinking about adding wings to my plow. I've read a ton of info on them and here is my concern. I plow wide, paved roads only. Curbs on both sides. I have heard that plows with wings are not able to really throw the snow up onto lawns/side walks/etc on the last pass when I'm trying to clear "curb to curb". I really am just interested in widening my plow as the 7.5 takes extra passes to clean my roads and a set of wings seems the cheapest option. Cant afford a newer, wider plow right now. So thats my question: will a plow with wings throw snow when windrowing and on my last curb pass? Sorry to be long winded. Hope you can help.

2. plowsteve

plowsteve Junior Member

No plug N play that I'm aware of on the controller, but you can cut and splice the correct plug and use a TouchPad. All wires are the same, just plug is different. Can't help you with the pro wing questions, we've only ever used them on our skid steer plows. Obviously, no snow throwing there at 6 mph.

3. Hevy Chevy

Hevy Chevy Junior Member

Thanks for quick reply. I have no problem with a cut & splice, got my heat shrink butt connectors ready to go. Any ideas on part numbers or manufacturers for that touchpad/handheld control? All the Meyers controls look like they have way more functions then I need. Also, do you see any issues splicing in the new control wiring into the circuit in-line before the existing toggles, I mean leave the twin toggles as a "spare controller" and "T" in the wiring for the handheld control? Somebody must have tried this before. Also, any one have an answer to my plow wings question from my first post. Thanks.

4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Don't use butt connectors unless you want to eventually diagnose invisible breaks. Solder the connections, and then heat shrink over the solder.

5. plowsteve

plowsteve Junior Member

+1 on the butt connectors. They're a quick fix in an emergency , but not a good way to do wiring on something that you want to rely on for your income. Pro wings are probably a bad idea if you're dragging curbs. They're not going to handle the stress, not designed for it. I will give some thought to your double -plug controller questions before I spout off half cocked.

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Yea I've got heat shrink butt connectors going on years now with no issues. All in how you install them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  7. jasonv

from kannada

They may hold up a little while if you are GENTLE with them, but crappy little friction clips will NEVER hold even remotely as well as a proper soldered connection.

Given that the effort and expense of doing it correctly is LOWER than using those crappy connectors, there is no excuse for using them.

8. dieselss

Who says heat shrink butt connectors are crappy?
    Just to put this out there Ford and your precious Toyota state to use them.

Ever overheat those small wires and melt them?
    Even solder connectors, or the wires behind it will fail if your not gentle with them as well.

Nothing wrong with heat shrink butt connectors, when used properly

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Have yet to ever have a heat shrink butt connector fail or any other connector. Also there are butt connectors that have solder in them. My only advice would be to stay away from those scotch tap things.

10. dieselss

Yep. No scotch locks.
    I have used the solder butt connectors....IMO complete junk.

11. jasonv

from kannada

Ah, I understand... you're using a TORCH for electrical soldering. No wonder you have a hard time with it and hate solder.
    Torches are for PLUMBING.

Hint: try a soldering iron for wires.

12. dieselss

I.have. that's even what Ford and you Toyota said.....HINT....I never said torch. Try again

13. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I've had more problems with solder than connectors. Solder isn't a good idea on automotive or machinery. Soldered wires are brittle in my opinion and lose strength or crack.

99% of the industry agreed on quality butt connectors

14. jasonv

from kannada

That is... absolutely incorrect.
    And absurd.

15. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Perhaps prove me wrong? I've been an ASE certified mechanic for 10 years and have had zero issues using 3m butt connectors. I've had quite a few issues with solder

16. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

question...how heavy is your truck?...bigger plows put bigger strains on a truck, you should be able to find a used 8 ft that will hook right up,

find an old 7.5, you can cut and weld on to existing... make 12 in extensions for your plow

i have an old 6.5 off a jeep i sold..needs to go...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016