1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e47 top seal

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Chris S, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

How hard is it to change the top seal on an e47? When the plow is raised it holds but fluid seems to be leaking out around the piston. Help asap would be appreciated.

Chris

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

It is pretty easy. Remove the lift arm, remove the 4 bolts holdin the top cap on, remove the top cap, and replace the seals and the oring for the top cap. Reinsatll in the reverse order and top off the fluid. Good Luck. :salute:

3. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

would leaking out of the top seal indicate that the seal IS bad? Is there always fluid in that area or does leaking out of the top seal indicate that there is something else wrong?

Chris

4. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

If you are putting a new seal in, you could probably change it without even removing the top cap, just get the old seal out with a punch, or similar small pick like device. It is a wiper seal, so it must be installed so that the hydraulic pressure causes the flange to spread and seal. Alot of people tend to put these in upsideown, and thus they will leak everytime pressure is applied to them. The seal just taps into place, use a block of wood or similar to seat it. A little hydraulic fluid, or white lithium grease (or similar clean grease) will be helpfull for sliding the new seal on (use between seal & piston).

Kevin

5. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I thought that seal was just a rubber wiper. Last time mine leaked, I replaced the packing cup (the actual piston) and never had any problems since.

6. 4speed

4speed Member

Don't be afraid of working on this unit. the Meyer is the simplest unit to work on that there is. You can access their service manual through their website and for a couple of $$ buy a rebuild kit at any dealer and if i'm not mistaken any napa store. A quick rebuild and you are on your way !

7. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

can anyone confirm this? I thought all I needed was a quick seal change and now I am thinking that I need a new ram.

Chris

8. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

No, no, no. Not a new ram. Just the little cloth-covered-metal packing cup. It screws into the bottom of the ram itself, and is what forms the seal for the hydraulics to work. It could be thought of as rings on a piston in an engine. It is a cheap part and is easy to fix. Go to the Meyer website and download a manual and see for yourself. It also gives you a good opportunity to clean out the system,when you replace it, because you have to take it apart a little. The seal on top isn't a pressure holding seal, just a wiper, so seepage means the packing cup is leaking.

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

You prob have to much fluid in the pump and its pukeing out of the vent...Rob

10. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

definately not coming out of the vent. I can see it coming out around the top seal.

Anyhow, I replaced the top seal and the pcaking cup just to make sure. The packing cup and the seal both looked pretty worn out.

Chris

11. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Yeah come to think of it, there should be no fluid on top of the piston unless the packing is worn, so I guess there would be no pressure to seal. (Once again my previous hydrauilics experience leads me astray :rolleyes: ). But it would serve to keep water from entering, so I would still replace it in a rebuild. As long as your ram is not pitted, there is no need to replace it. If your packing is worn, you probably noticed other problems, like the blade creeping down when you have it in the up position, or slowwer than normal lifting. That should help out all of the above conditions.

Kevin

12. Chris S

Chris S Junior Member

both have been replaced and I will see how it goes.

thanks for the help.

Chris