1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 Toggle Switch Needed

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by fedspunisher, Sep 22, 2008.

1. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

I need the lift float toggle switch for a E47 If anyone has one sitting around that works that they dont need let me know or if you know where i can find one cheap. Or I'll be wiring in a plain toggle switch.

2. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Found one for $16 shipped to my house but just seems ridiculous for a toggle switch....

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good thing you didn't need a replacement touch pad. They've gone up in price again...nearly $300 now. :dizzy:

I'd consider $16 cheap. :)

4. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

$16 may seem cheap but to my wife when she see what else i bought to get this project running she may run out and buy some new shoes. And that WONT be cheap.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then like I said...be happy you didn't need a new TP...may have also cost you a new fur coat for that one. :D

6. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

So this morning my truck wouldnt start. I noticed it seemed like the battery had been getting weak. So last thrusday I added a second battery. This is how i have it wired in. I have seperate grounds for each battery mounted to the same spot on the engine. I have seperate power wires running off the alternator. All this is done with 2 gage wire. I then have a wire off the 1st battery to my starter. The second battery i have a wire from it to my solenoid. Then a wire from that to my plow motor. In the cab i have what i thought to be a wire from the ignition to the controler. Im guessing this wire is actually always hot and this is causing the solenoid to always be "on" draining my battery? Another thing i noticed my switch was on the float position....On a side note is how i have my batteries wired up okay? They are not the same kind or size of battery will this cause any problems??

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couple issues here that are stacked against you....and yes they will cause you problems.

If you had a weak battery to begin with, adding a second isn't going to help anything. In a multiple battery setup you need to have battery's that are in good condition and are the same size, group #, and as close in age as possible or you run into problems such as your finding. Namely the stronger/newer/bigger of the battery's will be pulled down by the weaker of the two. Get the correct/matched/sized and age of battery's. :nod: Search "duel battery's" in the Chevy truck and truck repair forums and you'll find hours of reading on duel battery setups.

The second issue is as you suspect that you may not have the controls connected to a key ignition source so you'll want to check that with a test light. Running constant hot and leaving the switch in the float position is a good way to drain the battery (s) and also burn up the A coil on the plow pump....which is a primary reason the controller should only be ignition hot only in the first place. A good tip to prolong the coil life is to only have it in the float position where your ACTUALLY using the plow.

The 2 gage cables are good. Are your two alt charge cables also 2 gage?

8. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Yes everything is 2 gauge. I will just keep the 2nd battery charged and under the hood this way if i run into any issues and can just use it until i can get some more money or the battery goes bad that i do have and need to replace it then i will just get 2 new ones at the time.

Thanks this is what happens when you just try and throw together stuff using whats is laying around the shop.