1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 slow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by summit_670_1998, Nov 20, 2014.

1. summit_670_1998

summit_670_1998 Junior Member

Ok I changed my c valve it's new I got all water out of system new oil I found where water was coming in from . my valve bank was very corroded where the c valve seals. I had a used valve bank so I cleaned that put that on. Check every spring/ passage way. All looks clean . But now my plow moves slow compared to before . Is there a adjustment I can do to speed it up? Does my pressure relieft valve need to be adjusted or something? Thanks for all the help . I need to plow tonight again as it is snowing again .

2. summit_670_1998

Oh and I put a,seal kit in it as,well

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

E47's were not known for their speed. What are you comparing it to?

4. summit_670_1998

im comparing it to the speed it was before i changed the valve bank. its not fast like my buddys boss plow but it is half the speed it was before going up left or right. also seems like the motor is working harder than usual. but that could be just me. when i activate it to go say left or right the motor kicks on and nothing happens for a second or two than all of a sudden it starts moving. i was curious if there was something to adjust to speed it up.

5. kimber750

Only adjustment you have is pressure but this won't really increase speed. I am guessing you still have some air in the system. Also did you get the baffle back in the right spot, without it it will aerate the fluid slowing things down.

6. summit_670_1998

The white half moon looking thing that goes over the two studs ? That I'm not sure of

7. summit_670_1998

To check pressure I'm guessing screw a gauge on one of the angle hoses . What is max pressure ?

8. kimber750

Yes, it goes over return port.

Around 1600psi

9. summit_670_1998

k im %95 sure i got it right

i dident use "plow" oil i cant afford that its 15 bucks a liter i used hydralic oil because i have a 5 gallon pail of it . is there a specific hydralic oil i can use?

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

That's half your issue. You should put plow fluid in. It's thinner and flows better

11. kimber750

No, that is all of his issue. Regular hydraulic oil is way to thick. And gets a lot worse when it is cold since these pumps don't generate any real heat to warm the fluid.

Best bet is meyer fluid or try to find aviation hydraulic fluid. Both are thin and designed for colder temps.

12. summit_670_1998

ok thank you! i can almost guarantee that "meyer fluid" is some type of hydraulic fluid with a blue dye in it. a fiend of mine says his boss (who plows all the time) uses ATF because it thinner when it cold. would that work?

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Atf thinner when cold.....Really
    And thinner then what?
    It's aircraft hydro oil, with antifoam agents in it. And blue dye number 7

14. kimber750

ATF is a huge no no in Meyer pumps. But ATF, while more thin than regular hydraulic oil, will still be too thick for your pump. Some can get away with it in other brand pumps but I would strongly urge you not to use it in your Meyer pump. I would either get the Meyer fluid or price the aviation fluid.

15. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I would use the correct Meyer oil. It may cost more but look at where you are now. If you can't find Meyer oil Aviation hydraulic oil will work but costs even more. MIL-PRF-5606H http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/aeroshell_bflu.php

ATF is not made to run cold, to thick. Plows stay cold most of the time not the 160 to 200 F that a trans will see.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  16. summit_670_1998

17. maxwellp

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  18. kimber750

Gotta agree with Max here. Just no way to get around using the proper fluid. Those you posted links to are not designed for a plow pump.

Think about this.
    A plow pump only moves fluid when an action is requested, therefor it never builds any heat. The hydraulic fluid you listed is used in a system that the fluid is constantly moving, this build heats and thins the fluid.

19. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Hell, at least use s.a.m., brad pen, western, or boss fluid.

Btw, boss does NOT use atf. It uses typical red dyed aviation fluid.

What is it with plow guys and not maintaining their equipment? I am 200 pumps in for the season, and less than 50 of them even had the right fluid in them.

20. maxwellp

I do not know why so many use the wrong or not approved fluid. The correct oil is not that much more than all the other things people dump in plows. I use the approved fluid in my plows and have never had a pump fail. The less expensive oil will cost you more in the end. Just read things on this site. Plan ahead and keep it in your shop. :)