1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 raises extremely slow???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by ohionewbie, Oct 12, 2011.

1. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

:realmad:hey guys i bought a e47 at the end of last season and it lifted extremely slow. so i put a new seal kit in it well that didnt fix the problem ,so i had a freind look it over and he found a couple of springs were broke. so i replaced them. seemed too work a little better for about a week then right back too being slow. any ideas?? any help would be great!

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Is the motor spinning up to it's capacity? Are the grounds good? I would start there.

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Make sure fluid is 1-1 1/2 inches below the fill hole. Also check the filters.

Does the plow drift down? If it does it could be a bad A valve.

4. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

Ok....the grounds are good and clean also tight. Motor sounds good too me( but im a novice ). Plow does not drift down...it will stay upright for days in a row.it seems like it raises faster with the plow board unhooked...but as soon as a load is on it ....it goes SLOW. I do not have any gauges too put on it so I am out of luck in that reguard.

5. kimber750

Still check both filters. If that isn't the problem afraid to say it may be time for a rebuild.

6. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

Ok...I have checked the filters ...they are clean....ok maybe a stupid question ....but what all is involved with a rebuild? Im asking because I have replaced quite a bit of stuff on this unit already.....thanks.

7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

I would say a bad valve or an obstruction in the fluid reservoir check for magnetism on the valve that raises the plow. I have an E 60, not sure if they are the same, but. You can also try a new solenoid on that valve.

8. NickT

NickT Senior Member

Does it go fast left to right?

9. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

K...thanks nick...im taking all info in and will try and fix this weekend.

10. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

Nick....I do not have the angle cylinders hooked up ...I bought this whole setup in different stages and have not had a chance too mount them....could that be the problem?

11. kimber750

Need to tear the compete unit apart and check all parts for wear and clean everything.

Been awhile since I tore a E47 down, but if I remember correct you cannot tear down the pump like you can with a E60. The 47 pump should be sold as an assembly. With out a gauge it will be hard to tell if the pump is worn or not.

12. kimber750

He is asking to determine if it is the pump or something else.

13. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

In order for the plow to raise only , you need to energize the motor, none of the electronic solenoids on the pump. Just making sure that you aren't activating a solenoid for angle or drop while trying to lift it.
    They really aren't too bad to rebuild, you can download the manual online.

14. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

Dave...I have a manual.....everything seems too check out ok.....but still no one has told me what is involved in a rebuild? As I said I have replaced alot in this unit this past febuary ....

15. kimber750

If I remember correct the E47's default is left. Which means to go up it needs to run the motor and energize the B valve. If only motor is energized the blade should go left.

To rebuild you tear the entire pump apart cleaning all parts, check any part for wear and replacing any worn parts. You also replace all the seals, master rebuild kit should be around $80. So replacing some of the seals is not rebuilding the unit.

Have you had a chance to try and run the angling rams? If they are slow also I would bet it is time for a pump. For the E47 it is sold as a assembly. It would be best if you could do a pressure test on the unit. Unfortunately most shops that have a test stand will not hook a used unit to the test stand due to fear of contamination. You can get a gauge and hook it into the angling ram hose to test pressure.

16. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

Thanks.....and no have not tried the angling rams yet...wont be hooked up for a few more weeks yet. I think im just gonna have trouble bite the bullet and take it too be rebuilt or core it for a rebuilt one....:(

17. kimber750

Another thing you can try is taking the motor of and trying to turn the pump shaft by hand. It should turn pretty easy. Be careful when pulling the motor, it will fall apart and can be a pain to put back together. Also you can try turning the pressure relief up, but I don't recommend doing this with out having a gauge.

18. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

If you have the manual and some mechanical ability you won't have any problems rebuilding it. There are a few parts but as long as you keep track it's not too bad. I try to do one section at a time, take old o-rings off one valve, install new etc.

The crossover valve is the hardest I think...lol Gotta be patient.
    Maybe the motor is dragging a little or not quite spinning up to it's capabilities, how are you powering it? Hooked to the battery for normal operation? I tried to run one off my bat charger and it wouldn't do it, even on 60 amps.
    good luck.
    There a lot of more qualified people on here than me that will help you if you get in a jam.

19. ohionewbie

ohionewbie Junior Member

Dave thanks for the help....I may tear into in a few weeks after harvest is over...kinda pinched for time now. And yes im powering it right too the battery for normal operation. I have a two battery set up in my dodge diesel, so I would think there is sufficient power there for it. The batteries are less than two years old.....

20. kimber750

The E47 should draw no more than 100 amps. Most I have seen average around 80 amps.

Like Dave said the cross over valve is the biggest pain. Not that it is hard to put in, it just has ton of tiny little parts.

I would suggest that you get everything on the truck and then begin diagnosing it from there. Just too many possibilities right now.