1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 pump won't work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rpmroger, Dec 8, 2010.

1. rpmroger

rpmroger Junior Member

I inherited a 1979 3/4 ton plow truck with a Meyer plow. It has an E47 pump on it. I took the pump off the vehicle into the garage and changed fluid in the pump with regular plow fluid. The pump did not have a drain plug so had to turn over and let the old fluid glunk out. I do not know if the pump worked before I started. I hooked a battery to it and the pump will not go up. It spins very rapidly but nothing. I assumed that none of the solinoids needed to be hooked up for the ram to go up. Am I correct on this??? Also all of the solinoids have a magnetic pull to them when electricity is applied. Where would I investigate first if the ram will not go up. Could the pump be air locked since I changed fluids or should I look elsewhere?

2. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

Hey RPMroger.It' s been awhile since I plowed with a47, so I would head over to the Meyer thread there'll be someone who can help ya.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need to apply power to the B coil/valve (red wire) for the lift ram to extend. If it still doesn't then the valve is likely stuck. You can attempt removing it and stroking it manually with a small screwdriver in the end but if the pump has had no activity or maintenance in a long time you'll likely discover it will need most or all of the valves replaced to be reliable.

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

power straight to the motor won't make it raise. Check out the Meyer website they've got a great troubleshooting guide.

5. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

These guys give as good as a step by step as you'll find. Detailed pics and all.

http://smithbrothersservices.com/meyer_E-47-pump-rebuild.html