1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 pump shaft seal leaking--questions

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by snowdays, Jan 1, 2010.

1. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

I have an E47 that the pump shaft seal keeps leaking. It has been replaced recently. The shaft is not damaged or scratched causing it not to seal. Do I recall seeing a post about that is a symptom of the pump going bad and bleeding excess pressure?

2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Just a guess but maybe the vent/check ball is sticking causing it to build pressure under the wiper seal

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you've done some reading around here, as you're correct. If it won't hold the shaft seal then its time for a fresh pump.

4. snowdays

snowdays Senior Member
    from Ohio

Just getting back to the issue with my spare pump. What exactly is happening to cause it to leak again? Excess movement in the shaft wearing the seal? Does the pressure from the pump back up? Just curious. It seems the going rate for replacement pumps is about $200. Does that sound about right?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Worn shaft and bushings in the pump is what causes the seal not to hold. As once the clearances open up too much fluid pressure has an easier time getting to and pushing by the seal. It's only a lip seal so it won't hold much pressure back, and isn't meant to.

$200 is the general ballpark for a replacement pump so that's right in line. And I'd say it's time to buy.