1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 new problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TobyL120, Jan 24, 2011.

1. TobyL120

TobyL120 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Thanks for the advice on the first problem I had with my e47 not moving for first few minutes. It was definitely freezing and had water in it as you guys told me.

I changed fluid a couple of times and ended up adding some isopropyl gas line antifreeze.
    This fixed it right up.

Worked great for about 3-4 hours total use (2-3 plows).

Now it started going up slower and making a slight gurgling noise. Had to describe sound, but is sound different.

It starts out going up fairly normal for about 2-4 inches then is slows down and sound changes to slight hesitating sound or gurgle. Not like it is under any more load, and not like it is low on fluid..just different.

I don't have a way to check output pressure but is seems weak to me.

The most noticeable thing is what when I try to raise it and is slow down, if I stop and bump it up, it goes up faster and more on each BUMP than it does when I just hold the switch up.

At first I though it was just up, but I think it is also not pushing side to side as hard as it used was.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks again.

2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Check your fluid level, I don't know if the e47 has filters like the e60 but make sure they are clean, if all that is good then check your motor.

3. TobyL120

TobyL120 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Fluid is fresh and full. I cleaned both filters and no change.
    The motor sounds fine. It will go left and right all day. It seems to be the load of going up that slows it. And if you put resistance on it when angling it does the same sound.

It sound like the pump is not pumping 100 percent.

The actual electric motor sound fine to me, but I could be wrong. Maybe it isn't spinning fast enough but it sounds like it did when all was working.

4. TobyL120

TobyL120 Junior Member
    from Ohio

One possibility with the pump motor. It may be getting too hot. It is quite warm on top after I raise it up and down a few times. I though this was jsut from having to run it longer to get the plow up.

I could try left and right a few times and see how hot it gets. Any basic checks for this?
    I have read that the pump should be able to be turned by hand if you take the motor off. Maybe my pump is too tight???

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if the motor is heating up i would check the power and ground connections there first. the best way to test the pump is with a pressure gauge.

6. 97S104x4

97S104x4 Senior Member

it could be the motor heating up and getting ready to seize or i think it could be a bad ground, try moving the pump while its going up and see if it picks it up faster. im leaning more towards a bad ground

7. TobyL120

TobyL120 Junior Member
    from Ohio

It doesn't make any differnce when I try to move the pump or put pressure on it when it is running. It always runs and spins up fine, but the sound changes on upward movement after about 2-3 inches. Sounds the same on side to side movement.

I am looking into getting a pressure gauge so I can see the pressure. To me it sounds like the pressure is good for a couple of seconds then starts to fall off.
    If I get a gauge and see this is the case....then what could cause this?