1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 motor going bad?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by foxgap, Jan 19, 2014.

1. foxgap

foxgap Junior Member

New to the forum, but I have looked around a bit through the search but just want to confirm what I think is wrong here.
    I have been working on this setup of and on for the last 3 years, replace a few parts every year and it keeps getting better as I go. This year I swore I would find the small leaks and fix or replace the parts. the biggest leak I found was at the base of the pump, so I tighten the three nuts on top, no more leak. Put the plow on to refill system again and bleed. The first time it just pulls the plow up fantastic, angle it back and forth half a dozen times and it starts going slower and slower. Fine, pump needs topping up, top it up and it does not seem to make a difference. The motor seems to be laboring a real lot. I have a new cap with brushes to put on and thinking that may help.
    What do you all think?
    Batteries are 2 years old
    Alternator is 1 year old but is not a high amp
    new seliniod yesterday

Thanks, Mark
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

You can try the new cap, motor could still need replaced if bushings are bad. Also make sure connections and wires are good shape. Too much resistance can cause similar symptoms.
  3. foxgap

foxgap Junior Member

Talked to a friend this afternoon, he is going to bring over the tool to do the brushes and I think I will have him ohm the wires also at the same time. From what I gathered from other threads the motor should also pull about 80 AMPS.
  4. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No more than 100 amps against relief
  5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

No. Sounds like your motor is fine. Your intake screen in the base of the reservoir is getting plugged up with ICE, that is suspended in your hydraulic fluid. Take the cap and reservoir off, clean the base, clean the screen, reassemble with new fluid and a little bit of methyl alcohol -- should bring it back to 100%.