1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 Meyer fluid/ freezing

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dmaxplowguy66, Dec 10, 2009.

1. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

I was wondering if you can run some ATF in the meyer pumps? It is just an old back up truck of mine but likes to freeze a lot. I know its cause of mater getting in it some how from a bad seal or something but Dont like buying that $8.00 a QT blue oil for the meyers. All of my other plows are BOSS and never have any problems with them. I always just run ATF in them. Been doing that for at least 5 years on them. Just wanted to get some of your guys opnions! Thanks
  2. plowbabe

plowbabe Member
    from Midwest

The Meyer owners manual used to state that you could use ATF with a couple teaspoons of dry gas. I was just looking through a newer manual and cannot find that statement.

We have several customers that use it and don't have problems.

3. pushinsno

pushinsno Member

I use napa atf in mine and my my boss and his brother use the same in there western plows, and we have never had freeze ups or any problems
  4. dana60f250

dana60f250 Member

i have atf in a meyer pump and its 20 degrees where i am right now and it works fine.
  5. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

blue red blue red fluid

:Dhi..that blue fluid [Smurf p Ee) absolutley dont work.at all...its thins as water n smells like rubbing alcohole..took 5 qurts that blue p back for stor for refund told them its crap n no good n doesnt work thier like ...fhhhhcfsareyjhj tsterdrgf ...back too using good old valvolive penzoil dexron II tranny fluid if tranny fluid so bad thats y u drive an automatic...oh no i herd a guy using dot 3 brake fluid in his meyers e57 for years oh well n someone else using hyro-trans fluid for like farm tractor use..says it ran ok...
  6. dmaxplowguy66

dmaxplowguy66 Junior Member

k thanks for all your quick respones! Ill just put the good old atf in it next time for sure then!!
    thanks again everyone!!
  7. KartAnimal29

KartAnimal29 PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ct.

I did a flush on mine a few weeks back and it's frozen now. I put Meyer fluid in and now that it's 20 during the day and single digits at night , I had to take a torch to might this morning to get it to work
  8. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Do NOT put ATF in a meyer plow pump. The stuff will FOAM.
    Freeze-ups happen in two places; motor base, and pump inlet screen. If its water in the motor base, then changing the fluid won't help it at all, you need to take the motor off, clean, and grease it. If pump inlet screen is plugged with ice, throw in a little gas line alcohol.

Allow me to repeat: DO NOT put ATF in a meyer pump.
  9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Can you expand on that statement?
    The reason I ask is that there seems to be large numbers (including myself) that use it and have ZERO problems. I have a gear driven pump in a dump trailer and they specify ATF.
    Most problems that I have seen are caused by leaking components such as QD's, swivel elbows or leaky seals. I have only ever used the smurf juice once but I sold the pump after a rebuild so I have no idea if it held up.
  10. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Nothing like bringing up a 3 year old thread..
  11. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

it is! read it earlier doing a problem search with mine, didn't think about the alchohol idea....mine turned out to be iced and now has a shot of isopropyl in it...Thumbs Up