1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 leaking

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by JMHConstruction, Jul 1, 2016.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Picked up an old st7.5 with an e47 pump last weekend and haven't had a chance to mess with it yet. Before I went out of town, I noticed a small area on the garage floor under the pump where fluid had leaked. When I picked up the plow there was no leaks that I could see. The guy probably had just whipped it down or something. Regardless if this is new or not, is it something that a rebuild would fix?

I haven't ever worked on a plow, or pump before. Is this something I could do or should I let a dealer service?

I guess it might help if I say where it's leaking from... It is leaking under the pump all the way under the motor. I also noticed that one of the hoses leaks from the end that plugs into the plow, is that normal?

These are probably stupid questions, but this is my first plow that I personally have owned, so bare with me. Thanks guys.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

my guess is the leak on the hose swivel fitting is dripping down on the pump, and then running down to the bottom of the pump where it drips on the ground.
    i do not use swivel fittings, because they always leak. i use solid 90's.

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

When I go to shop I'm gonna see if I have a kit for that. If I do I will get your info and send her to ya. I used to be able to do Meyer warranty work. Still have a few things left.

4. JMHConstruction

That would be great! Let me know what shipping will be and I will pay ya for that some how. Also, what are some meyer specific things I should have in my truck with me? Extra seals or something that meyer has problems with.

5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i always carried a box with assorted wrenches, 2 quarts oil, a set of disconnects, at least one spare hose, 2-3 90 degree fittings, piston bolts, spare guide poles, and a spare controller.

6. JMHConstruction

Thanks! I'll get some stuff

7. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

A torch to getting it going after it freezes. :rolleyes: If you don't know the condition of the pump I suggest rebuilding it. Kits are pretty cheap and also gives you a chance to check out the pump, learn how to tear down, reseal to keep water out and give it a good cleaning. Plenty of vids on the web on how to rebuild these pumps.

8. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Buy a complete E47 pump unit - rebuilt of course or do yourself. Great Insur for that God awful Blizz when pump takes a dump. Swap it good to go. Best "spare" part out there save some hoses n at least quart of M1 Fluid. ONLY M1!!

9. JMHConstruction

Good to know about only m1. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to order a rebuild kit on line monday. Went and looked locally and it's over twice the price. Haven't had much time to mess with the plow too much yet.

10. info4tim

info4tim Senior Member

Lots o folk use lots of other stuff...Western, trans, etc fluids saying it's all the same. Not! Causes seal degradation, valve problems not to mention freezing in cold weather lol!!
    Check out Smith Brothers plow parts in NJ for low web pricing n good How to vids. Better yet Storks Auto for ALL plow parts etc in PA. Ask for Jeen. Tell em Tim from Jersey sent you!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016