1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 Hyd. fluid leaking

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by pale rider, Dec 10, 2008.

1. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

Last week had to use the plow for the first time and discovered lines were frozen. waited till today (warmed up) too change fluid. Plow moved up/down and left/right. No problems. went ahead and removed lines from cylinders and moved plow back and forth to remove the nice cream colored fluid.

Does the cylinder/ram have to be fully retracted or should it be in when filling on both the cylinders and the actuall pump?

I just assumed it needed to be out and filled each cylinder with fresh fluid the again moved plow back and forth to flush as much of the old out. did this twice, then added fresh again and put lines back on.

Felt a little lazy and didn't feel like taking pump off so i removed the 2 drain(?) plugs wich each contains a small filter. Thought it would drain enough, but only a small amount came out? i believe the pump may have been low on fluid?? replaced plugs finding one became stripped, because it wouldn't tighten:confused::realmad: added a little thread tape hoping it would hold. went ahead and filled pump .

turned truck on and went to move up and down and left to right NOTHING. the stripped plug was leaking

So now plow won't function at all:cry::cry: is it because its loosing pressure in system or what????

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

nothing at all? motor run? solenoid click? how much oil did you put in?

3. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

Nothing. i filled each cylinder full. was worried that if i filled cyliders with ram out it may have created to much pressure causing that plug to leak? it wasn't leaking like it is now.

would have to say the pump(filled with ram in) is at least half full.

couldn't really tell if i herd solenoid.

like i said everthing was working right before i started. made sure the lines had unthawed and plow was moving.

4. no lead

when you run the plow can you hear the unit run? run it with the engine off. go left right several times. does it click every time you hit the control?

5. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

you can hear a click then "grrrr" sound

6. no lead

are the hoses connected to the pump all the way? do the hoses jump when you angle it? all wires plugged in? batt cable? do all 3 valves magnetize? do all 3 valves shift?

7. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

hoses connected yes

3 valves magnetize/****?? don't understand? please explain

8. no lead

put the plow in the float-down position. goto the power unit and take a screwdriver and touch the valve on the back of the unit. it will have a black wire. did it stick to the coil-valve? if yes then have someone raise it while you test the other coils w/ screwdriver.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it worked but you got very little fluid out of the drain port then I doubt it was low on fluid, more like it was full of ice. Because for them to even just work at all the fluid level has to be about 2 inches above the drain port..

You need to get the pump warm and get it cleaned out inside.

10. no lead

pale ryder stated that the unit was fine until he pulled the screens, indicating it was thawed.
    below the two plugs with the screens is another plug marked drain, pull that one. if any sludge or debris comes out then you will need to clean it out. did you test the valve coils?

11. pale rider

pale rider Junior Member

Just got back to this project, unfortunetly with snow coming down :cry:

Problem is one of the drain/filter plugs that i took off is stripped:realmad::realmad: so now when i go to move the plow it blows the plug right out. Not an enginer but i am assuming the plow isn't working because the system won't hold the pressure.

Besides trying to helicoil any other suggestions ?? to keep that plug in place

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Heli-coil/thread insert is the next best alternative to a new sump base.

Need to be rather precise when installing the thread insert though as you'll only catch a couple threads. Make sure it goes in straight or the plug wont set square in the hole...causing a poor seal on the O-ring.