1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 Growling Noise

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by 95wranglasaurus, Dec 19, 2008.

1. 95wranglasaurus

95wranglasaurus Junior Member
    from Maine

Does anyone have any experience with their E47 pump making a very noticeable growling noise when articulating their plow? It is somewhat more noticeable when lifting than angling. Some of the time, not too often, it is acceptably quiet. This is my first experience with this kind of pump so I don't know what a normal amount of noise is.

My alternator is only rated for 75 amps, and I am already planning to replace it with one rated for 116 amps. Other than the noise, everything works fine although maybe a tad slow. It dims the lights and slows the heater motor as-is, so I know swapping in the bigger alternator is a must. Can anyone think of other possible causes? The factory troubleshooting guides that I've seen don't mention noises. Thanks for any comments.

2. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Lifting the plow is a lot more load than angling. Maybe the motor or brushes are on their way out? You could pull the motor and inspect the brushes.

3. 95wranglasaurus

from Maine

Thanks for the reply. I noticed tonight that the growling noise is a lot more pronounced when the lights and heater are on. I hadn't thought of the possibility of bad brushes so I appreciate your suggestion. I think I'll swap in the bigger alternator, then if I still have an issue I get new brushes and install them anyway. Thanks again.

4. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I would say it is a motor on it's way out. If it is louder when lights and heater are on that means that it is drawing more power to lift. That is why it's louder.

5. 95wranglasaurus

from Maine

Thanks for the input. I have Monday off, and the bigger alternator is going on then. I'll also order a rebuild kit for the motor and redo it when I have some time off again. This is my first season with the pump so I may as well fix it right up and be sure of it for the future. Thanks again.

6. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

I read you post yesterday, then i went to drive my truck. I raised my blade, same noise WTF. It is the coldest here that it has been all year and the batt. is feeling it. After I drove for a few minutes and the volts came up no noise and the blade moves at normal speed. I don't have a lot of exp. but seems like a low voltage problem to me, I hope

7. 95wranglasaurus

from Maine

Juneau Alaska, so you definitely speak winter too! It's only 12.5 F as I write this, with a Nor'easter on its way for Sunday-Monday. Cold temps bring out any weaknesses. I'm convinced that the issue is low voltage whether it be due to my too small alternator and/or problems in the motor. The online owners manual recommends an alternator of at least 100 amps. Once I get my 116 amp alternator in on Monday, I'll post an update with the results. Thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas to all!

8. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Hey update on my growling noise. with further investigation my pump had decided at some point to spray it's oil out all over the back of mold board, so cheak your oil if you have not already. I just had to swap out for an old pump. I just hope it holds in there until I can get the other one fixed. I hope your problem is not the same as mine, But I felt I should let you know.

9. 95wranglasaurus

from Maine

Thanks for the heads up about the oil level. After I got the 116 amp alternator on I checked the oil level and it actually ran out of the oil plug hole. I haven't run the vehicle much yet, just idled it in the garage for a few moments to make sure the alternator was putting out a charge and I also tried the plow. I can't tell too much yet but I have a few days off coming up soon to play with it. It still growls though. I have a supposedly rebuilt pump unit I'll try next. At least the old girl got me through the bad storm we had over the weekend, about 14" (some places got up to 40"!) and plenty of drifting to go with it.

10. huss691981

huss691981 Member

if the motor is ok, and the fluid is new, clean, and not frozen, You might consider checking your packing cup on the lifting ram. They like to break apart and clog the main filter screen in the sump base, whick starves the pump of fluid, and makes a nasty growling noise. If it is the packing cup, you will need to clean out all filters, 2 or 1 on older model e-47 pumps, and clean out the main screen in the sump base. Or better yet, just replace the screen and filter. The fluid will also have to be changed. A good way to tell if you cup is going , or has gone bad is to check you fluid color. It will have a brown, coffey color if the cup has broke up. Mike.

11. 95wranglasaurus

from Maine

Thanks huss, I'll check out the screen and filters. The oil is pinkish colored. If the cup you're referring to is at the top of the ram and appears to be black plastic, it looks somewhat broken up.

12. huss691981

huss691981 Member

the packing cup is on the bottom of the lifting ram and con only be seen if you take the ram out. The black plastic you are talking of, if you can see it on top of the pump, is the wiper. All it does is keeps water and dirt out and oil in. It does not hold any pressure. Mike