1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e47 freezing

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by nelson4047, Dec 8, 2008.

1. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

i have a e 47 that takes on a little moisture, i have flushed & refilled with anti iceing myers oil but still will freeze up in extreme cold weather. can i add rubbing alcohol or something that will mix with water but wont freeze without hurting the pump? thanks any suggestions would be great. jeff

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

3. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Like Wild Bill said there maybe a leak and to use nox-ice . I have never hear of that but it most likely dissipates water.

I have read on this site a while back that a person can put in a tablespoon of regular dry gas with your fluid to remove the water. The bigger problem is how did it get there? Like they have said many times on P..S., if the hydraulics leak even just a little bit, I can draw in water also. It don't take much.

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I ran E47's for years, freezing up wasn't unusual when the temps got in the single digits. A cap full of dry gas or alcohol can help in an emergency situation...but use cation as it could eat your seals if you use too much. Make sure your angle pistons caps are tight. Also look and feel for ant residual fluid on any of the pistons or any drips near the caps...this could be where your drawing in moisture into the system. If that's the case, you may need to rebuild.

Couple tricks : Try wrapping a blanket of insulation around the pump when it's really cold, and put a trouble light w/ high wattage right on the pump at night when parked. Cover w/ a blanket or tarp...just be careful not to set it on fire...that can buy you some time to get you by a couple of nights until you can address the problem.

Rebuild kits shouldn't be all that expensive and you won't need every last o ring that comes w/ it. It's not that hard to do, but will probably take care of your problem. Just give yourself a good day to mess w/ it. Also recommend finding a used back up pump (rebuild it and put it on the shelf).

5. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

i looked up nox ice its isopropelene so i guess i could use any fuel treatment with that in it. i do have the top seal seeping a little & im sure that is where the water gets in but this is just an old backup plow truck & didnt plan on rebuilding the unit. oil is cheap just need to keep it from freezing up. i thought about building a shroud on top of the pump since it sits out most of time. thanks guys jeff

6. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

i do have another pump thats supposedly rebuilt but everything still works on the old one except for the freeze i will change for sure if it keeps screwing with me in the middle of nowhere(which is usually when i have problems) thanks

7. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

8. nelson4047

nelson4047 Member

thanks tsmith that heater looks like it would do the trick but will it warm just the resevior or do you think it will keep the valves warm as well? the most problem i have is driving a ways without useing the plow. i could angle it once in awhle to keep the oil circulating

9. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I'm not sure how much that heats up, but the heat should transfer threw the fluid and the metal of the pump. Cycling it some isn't a bad idea though. If you get that just make it's switched so it's only on when the truck is, I would think it would drain a battery pretty quickly.

10. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

That looks pretty cool...They didn't have those when I ran those pumps about 12 years ago...not a bad pump all and all, I ran them for about 10 years. The only thing that I didn't like was how the solenoids were fully exposed and would rot at the base. A lot of guys don't think to pull them, clean and grease em up. Did they ever come out w/ a shroud for that pump like they did w/ the E60?

11. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

wild idea how about a 120

Kat's Battery Pad & Blanket Heaters

Battery Heaters Pad Style --

22400, 22401, 22500, 22600, 22700

Kat's 22400 Battery Pad heater

Silicon Covered / Acid Resistant / Pliable.

Fits most car and truck Batteries.
    Battery Size Model Dimensions Volts Watts Price BUY NOW!

Kat's 22400 Battery Hot Pad Style heater 120 V 60 W.
    24 22400 5.5" X 8.5" 120 60

$42.99 $25.99
    Add to cart

The following pads, below are seasonal, but can be special ordered during the summer; Expect 3-5 weeks delivery time.

Kat's 22400 Battery Hot Pad Style heater 120 V 60 W.
    24 22401 5.5" X 8.5" 240 60

$46.33 $28.15
    Add to cart
    Kat's 22400 Battery Hot Pad Style heater 120 V 60 W. 27, 31, 40 22500 8.5" X 11.5" 120 60

$131.36 $79.80
    Add to cart
    Kat's 22400 Battery Hot Pad Style heater 120 V 60 W. 8D 22600 11" X 18" 120 80

$146.69 $87.59
    Add to cart
    Kat's 22400 Battery Hot Pad Style heater 120 V 60 W. 8D 240

$146.69 $87.59
    Add to cartvt wrap type battery heater .

12. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I looked at those Kat pad heaters, but even the smallest, which was like 2"x4" still put out too much heat for the amount of fluid in the pump. Seemed like it would get hot enough to cook the seals in the pump. The battery size would be hard to put on the pump, they need to make contact with whatever you're heating.

13. m2low

m2low Member

fix any leaks/replace parts where you can see fluid leaking out - then add a small amount of ether to the fluid to soak up the moisture... small amount, dont want it to eat up the seals...