1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 "Doesn't" Angle Left after Going Fully Right...

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Bens95cobra8594, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Bens95cobra8594

Bens95cobra8594 Junior Member

Hey, sorry if this is vague...

Hooked up the plow the other day after it sat since March (?). Everything seems okay with the plow, goes up and down and right okay, but when trying to get the plow to go back to center after it is fully to the right, you have to ram it into a wall or tree, to "bump" it back.

But after you "bump" it on something, the motor will retract the blade back to the left and you can then angle the plow fully left and it will go fully right again.

So essentially, something is getting bound up at the full right extension point, not allowing the motor to work and get it back to center.

Any ideas?

I really tend to think this is mechanical, rather than hydraulic or something in the motor because the motor does work fine either way it just needs a little bump or ram before it wants to work.

The slick stick and wiring harness are brand new (Meyers parts, not SAM) last year and have probably 25 minutes of light plowing on them. Both the coils on the side of the motor are new mid-season last year and the black one (on the back) is older, but only a few seasons old.

I tend to think the problem may be in the hydraulic rams, they are both SAM and so are the feed hoses. But I've never had a problem with them before now.

I also did lube the shizzle out of the kingpin, as that has frozen (rusted) in years prior.

Thanks as always!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it raise just fine AFTER it gets stuck to the right?

3. wheelmanm80

wheelmanm80 Member

i have been having the same problem last season and i was about to take everything apart if anyone could help answer this question that would be great. and for my instance yes it goes up fine it just gets stuck all the way over. although my pump is an E-60 i also tend to thing its in one of the angling rams

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There several common issue on these Meyer plows that cause these "stuck" angle right positions. One cause is a sticking "C" valve, which is why I asked Ben if it will lift even when its stuck to the right. The spool inside the C valve will swell the internal bore causing the spool to remain stuck in the open position after the controller button is released.

But the two most common things are either a defective quick coupler (search here in the Meyer forum, use "quick coupler" as a search term you'll find plenty of threads)...When the couplers fail they can often times act as a one way check valve thus allowing fluid to flow one way but not the other until forced to.

The other very common issue (and happens to be mechanical as Ben suspects his issue is) is the pivot hole on the front of the A-frame and/or sector wears oblong and allows the plow to angle "over center", causing it to get stuck there. Easy test for that is to disconnect both angle hoses and remove the couplers from those hoses. Now, by hand pull on the retracted end of the moldbpoard...it may take some force but you should be able to pull it by hand. If you can't then you have a mechanical problem...naimly a worn pivot hole...or occasionally a sticking ram.

5. Bens95cobra8594

I will check later today and check to see...

Thanks!

6. Bens95cobra8594

I fooled around with the plow for a while today.

When I first got in the truck and started it up, the plow raised just fine and lowered with no problem. But it wouldn't angle either way. So I backed it out of the carport and rammed it into the support pole to "bump"/convince it to move. Did the trick, it started angling properly both ways.

The strange thing is that it didn't do anything else wrong through about 30 cycles of back and forth and up and down. It only stuck a few times briefly when it was fully to the right, but I just jiggled it down then up again and it seemed to "release" whatever was sticking, and it never bound up again.

In answer to the original question by B&B, I found that when it bound up and wouldn't angle left, it would raise just fine, no hesitation. It would also raise fine when it was not binding up (the 25 or so other times it angled back and forth properly).

I looked @ the A-frame and the kingpin and also the joints where the hydraulic arms are and can't see anything obvious with them sticking or wearing out prematurely or developing an oblong pattern of wear.

Any other advice or things to check?

I am hesitant to go looking for things to replace, because it's working fine now. But then again, I don't want to get stuck in the middle of January with a plow that only goes to the right.

Thanks again!

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Intermittent problems can be tough to track down Ben...

It's sounds like a hydraulic problem rather than a mechanical problem.

First two things I'd be going after if a defective quick coupler...especially if they're old because it sure sounds like the "check valve" syndrome like I previously described that those couplers will do.

Other issue that can do this is a damaged cross over relief valve.

8. Bens95cobra8594

Okay, man. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few weeks and see if there are any other symptoms.

I really appreciate your help, this website is a great resource with a ton of helpful members. Glad to be a part!

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Wouldn't hurt to change couplers, drain the unit and flush it with Meyer "Hydra-flush" and refill with OEM fluid, it has cleaners and lubricants, and could clear whatever "ghost" is in the system.