1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E47 Current Draw-how to test?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by eriklane, Feb 3, 2011.

1. eriklane

eriklane Member

Can I test the current draw with the motor off? How do I test it in either case whether on or off?

2. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

the best way is with an inductive pickup voltmeter. a clamp goes on the power wire to the motor and reads draw.

3. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

This pump must draw a lot of amps. I have had my current plow on two trucks, 87 GMC with a 120amp altenator and an 01 Dodge with 140amp and it dims the lights badly. I have tried grounding to two points and a larger battery to no avail.

4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Correct except it would be an ampmeter, not voltmeter and it has to be for DC

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

are you grounding to the battery?

6. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

One point to battery the other to the engine block

7. eriklane

eriklane Member

E47 pump amperage draw

So, a regular handheld voltmeter with DC V and DC MA wont work? Kinda stupid here-just dont know electrical stuff.

And then we'd just test the hot side? Can you fully explain more? My e47 is drawing too much (lights dim some), but seems to work fine...

8. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

A regular multimeter that measures mA wont do it, you need to be able to measure 150a or more. Some dimming of the lights is considered normal, if your pump + and - are hooked directly to the battery and all connections are clean.