1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E46 proplem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by rico, Jan 29, 2012.

1. rico

rico Member

I have an older E46 and the plow will go up and down but will not go down all the way. It stays about an inch from the ground, even in float. I have tried letting the chain out and shortening it. Is it the "A" valve? Thanks.

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

use the search here ......much faster . your headed in the correct direction . LOW FLUID ?
    Is it frozen ? loose wire? blown fuse ?

3. Theshoemaker

Theshoemaker Senior Member

I would first pull the valve out and check to see if it's all plugged up. There's only a few things it could really be.
    1. Bad A Valve
    2. Clogged filters or port/passage
    3. Bent/warped lift ram

Hope this helps

4. RepoMan1968

fluid low
    frozen
    loose wire
    although I'v never seen and would'nt know how to go about "bending a lift arm " :eek::laughing:

5. rico

rico Member

It has fluid and the connection is good. It will go up and down but always stops about an inch from the ground. Good for doing gravel drivways but I don't plow any. Why would the "a" valve not let the plow go to the ground??

6. RepoMan1968

7. rico

rico Member

Repo man thanks for being a jerk. Maybe if you could read it would help. I did do a search. This is not my first time on the site. I did a search. I did not find anything about it stopping short but otherwise working fine. I have been on this site for over a decade and comments for people like you should be kept o yourself.

8. RepoMan1968

your quite welcome . good luck with all that

9. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

well that link took me to a whole wealth of information that was about as useful as teets on a bull.

if you hook the chain 4-5 links extra to the plow does it still stop an inch off the ground?

10. RepoMan1968

a chain choker , thats just a no brainer . ya think

11. rico

rico Member

Tjctransport, yes, I did raise the chain up about 4 links and down about 3 and no matter which way I went it stops about an inch or 2 from the ground. That is why I was wondering if the "a" valve was bad? It does hold the blade right in place, so the valve is not leaking. I will need to look into if the ram is bent or if there is something stuck. I have used Western plows for years and this is the first year with a Meyer pump.

Thanks.

12. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

If you lengthen the chain several links and it still stops 1" from the ground it must not be the pump not allowing it to drop but the frame binding somehow. Can you push the lift arm down any more with the plow floating 1" off the ground?

13. tjctransport

that is exactly where i was going with my question, and your suggestion is what i was going to say.

14. rico

rico Member

The only way it will go down is by hammer it down. Taking the chain off, the plow goes up and down with no problems.

Could it be the coil and not the valve? How hard is it to replace the ram?

Thanks.

15. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I doubt you could for force it down if it were a hydraulic problem. I believe if you remove the a valve you should be able to push it down easily and the fluid will spill out. If its still tight the ram is binding. The Meyer site has repair manuals that will tell you how to disassemble the unit.

16. tjctransport

if the ram is hard to go down without the plow, and the only way to get it all the way down is with a hammer beating on it, the lift ram is bad in the pump assembly and needs servicing.