1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e46 electrical problem

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by timberman2zf4, Jan 23, 2012.

1. timberman2zf4

timberman2zf4 Junior Member

Change my blue every year...we are good there.
    New gaskets last year...should be fine as it worked for the season
    this is a e46 so it only goes up and down

got some zap sounds our first snowfall and took it right into my shop, dropped the plow and it would not raise. The motor was not running so I pulled it and hooked it directly up to 12v dc and it turned in the proper direction.

I get 12v to the unit with the up switch on and I can here the clicking sounds from the solenoid, my ground has continuity and my + is clean and tight on the solenoid and the unit.

does this sound like a solenoid problem to you? bonus question...how does a solenoid work and what does it do? For my basic up and down would my solenoid have magnetism (it does not currently).
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I would think your solenoid is the issue. You can test for power coming out of the solenoid. You can try jumping the two large terminals on the solenoid. If motor runs when solenoid is jumped, replace it.
  3. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

The solenoid, or relay, allows you to operate a large current handling switch with a small amount of current. Without it you would have a huge cable coming from the battery into the cab, to a big switch, then another cable back out to the motor on the pump. On the relay there are 2 large terminals, one to the battery and one to the motor. When you apply voltage to the small terminal it flows through a coil creating a magnet which pulls a "plunger" that makes contact between the 2 large terminals and the motor turns on.