1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E40d

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by firelwn82, Sep 23, 2006.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at putting an 810 on my 1996 F-250HD. I was told that the trans is junk and would not last through the winter. I thought the E40D was the top Tans. I mean they put it in the powerstroke right? If anyone could comment that would be appreciated.

2. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

I have to think that the best trans that ford puts out is there C6 tranny, Its a very simple tranny cheap and easy to rebuild. It is also very tought and reliable and great for plowing, I got 178,500 miles on my truck still going strong, And I haul 1 ton of wet stone dust today all up hill :cool: . As far as the E40d I dont Know much about them. try doing a search and see what pops up. Hope this helps :)

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

You can get goo ones and you can get bad ones. That's been my experience with them. Fortunately for me I've had more good ones than bad ones. They don't take extreme abuse very well.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

One big plus with the C6 is there are 5,000 guys that can rebuild them.
    I got mine done for $800 with taxes and towing included, didn't even get my hands dirty. The only reason mine fried was I broke a cooling line, lost --> line pressure twice. This kills them they told me.
    The older 4 speed ( no overdrive off button on shifter ) seems to be the better one.
    I drive private ambulance and have never had that tranny or a C6 die under me.
    I have had the newer ones at least once a year get towed in.
    We always have an extra one ready to be installed in the parts room.