1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e40d transmission fluid

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplowpro, Oct 18, 2013.

1. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm doing a new gasket on my transmission pan tomorrow and I would normally use motorcraft but Walmart don't have it and its $8 a quart from ford. What other brands do you guys recommend.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Advance and Autozone will have it for near the same price as Walmart. Buy name brand.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I just got my delivery of fluid today for my e4od. use dextron/mercon 3 - and nothing else.

here's the best place to buy it. great people and the lowest price. shipping cost me $15 and got to my door in 2 days.

http://www.petroleumservicecompany.com/19505.html

after emptying the torque convertor you're gonna need about 4 gallons to refill.

I've never used anything but this fluid in about 3 e4od's that I've owned over the years. I change the fluid every 20k miles or so and never had a problem with any of the transmissions.

4. snowplowpro

from NJ

how many quarts if I only drop the pan im not doing the torque converter cause the gasket is leaking and im on a budget right now .

5. linckeil

from CT

if you are just looking to change the pan gasket and not do a complete oil change, then reuse the old fluid. the torque convertor holds like 70% of the fluid and there is no benefit to changing out whats just in the pan.

regular fluid changes is what keeps the e4od going - even moreso than other automatic transmissions. since you are dropping the pan anyway, I would encourage you to take this opportunity to do a complete fluid change. that trans is the single most expensive part of your drivetrain and if you are on a budget, look to pinch pennies elsewhere.

6. snowplowpro

from NJ

ok so if I do the hole thing it would be about 23 24 quarts

7. linckeil

from CT

4 qts in a gallon so about 16 quarts. i'd get 20 to be on the safe side.

8. snowplowpro

from NJ

ok thanks I got it all done lets hope nomajor repairs need to be done .

9. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check to rear seal and pan in a week or so. ATF is highly detergent. It may start leaking due to the new fluid cleaning all the crude out.