1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E40D to a ZF

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Sharpshooter77, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Sharpshooter77

Sharpshooter77 Senior Member

Hey everyone, My truck that I have now have a orginal E40D tranny with a 194,500 onit. The truck is a 1993 F-250 4x4, 7.3 IDI. I was thinking about swaping in a ZF standard transmission, Becasue I really don't like the E40D's, Also the E40D that is in it know feels like its on its way out, I not really sure if I want to spend the money for a rebuild on it, I rather have a standard tranny in there instead, So has anyone ever done this before. Whats involded other than swaping out the tranny and adding in the clutch parts, I like my truck and would like to keep it for a long while. Let me know.

Thanks

2. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I have done conversions on other vehicles. It is realitively straight forward on older none computer controlled vehicles. Especially if they were offered with a manual. Besides the transmission, you will need the pedal assembly, mounts, flywheel, clutch linkage or lines, etc. On computer controlled vehicles you need those parts as well. I would think you could find many of the needed parts on ebay and at junkyards.

3. beaver2

beaver2 Member

I'm getting ready to convert my 1987 F350 C6 to a T-19. I was lucky to salvage the clutch pedal brackets, and slave cylinder from a similar truck.

Make sure you put a Single mass flywheel with an LUK clutch, you'll never look back. The SMF is a very important upgrade. I got mine from dial-a-clutch

1990 F250 7.3 IDI, ZF5 dana 60 conversion, SMF LUK Clutch 216,000 miles
    1987 F350 6.9 IDI C6 soon being converted to T-19.

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict