1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-Z Dumper Salt Spreader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RB, Jun 27, 2001.

1. RB

RB Senior Member

Has anyone used of these replacable tailgate salt spreaders for their E-Z Dumper?

How does it work?

Thanx.
    Ron

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't have one myself. However a good friend of mine has 2 of them. His reason is 2 guys can remove the ez-dump spreader. That way he can still use his truck all winter long. If ya want more info e-mail me. And I will send you the note he sent me.

Geoff

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

truckcraft also makes one @ www.truckcraft.com
    i was looking at them on the website and they look like a good concept.

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I am looking at purchasing one of these units this season. They are a bit pricey. comparable to a vbox for the tailgate unit alone, but they are easy to remove, should have better material control as both the feed auger and the spinner speed are controlled from in the cab, and they aren't as much of an obstruction on the back of the truck.
    If anyone is using them I'd like to know.

Bill

5. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have the ez sand spreader mounted on a truck craft insert....if you have an insert dump this is a good set-up,the controls are on and off no speed adjustments in between also the auger and spiner are not independently controlled(you need hydralics for this on any spreader)

i generally do not have chunky salt but from time to time it will be and the auger broke it up fine, easilt removeable and had no problems last winter ....probably moved around 60 tons through it over all last winter

it does draw some juice ...i put on a 200 amp alternator to help

like any other dump style spreader you will be lifting you dump A LOT
    i did not really like this..especially when it is overloaded to begin with...still no problems

yes my next spreader will be a v box but the dump insert spreader will still be working full time....it was nice to be able to take it off and use the dump.....but with a one ton style under tailgate spreader you do not even need to take it off

doug

6. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

insert spreader

Doug, I leaning towards the truck-craft unit, it has varible speed controls for the electric unit for both the auger and the spinner.
    Is the electric draw about the same as and electric blade? The truck it will go on has a 135 or 140 amp altenator, and dual batteries.
    I hope the biggest draw would be from the hoist, does it draw a lot running the auger and spinner?

Bill

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

on mine i think the draw seems to be more for the spinner and auger, more than a plow aand it will spike a bit if it breaks up a chunk..........the hoist also draws a lot especially when first loaded....when i first used it i had the spinner on and used the hoist at the same time i almost stalled the truck so that is why i went to a big alternator an extra battery may also be sufficient ,,i did not have room for another........the only truck craft one i have seen is alumnium and the user told me that the exit hole for the salt at the end clogged a lot because the hole is horizontal and the salt must be pushed out , where as the easy dumper is verticle and the salt falls down through...plus the truck craft that i saw was alumnium and some stainless it was around 4000 seems expensive

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I have one i didnt have much luck with it it always get jammed

9. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

philly plow king, which tailgate spreader do you have? looking in to getting one but not sure on how well they work. are you running salt, sand or both?
    thanks for the input

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

RichterNo1 what kind of spreader are you looking for? I have one and have done a lot of research on it. Let me know.

11. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

looking at the truck craft model

12. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

also how do they handel when you go over a speed bump with the body in the up position?

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Any single auger system like that one will not spread sand. As you drive from job to job or well you are plowing the sand packs and then it tunnels and will not come out. In the end it will drive you nuts. I don't think the electric motor will have enough power to spread the sand with a wide pattern either. We have an ez8 on a dump truck with hydraulics and it is useless for sand and great for salt.

14. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

i run magic salt so packing is not a problem. what about speed bumps with the body up?

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

When we need to send material to the back of the box we put the box all the way up. We only do this with the truck stoped. We then lower the box to 1/2 way before we start to spread. We only drive over the speed bumbs straight, the rams are not really strong. You have to drive slower then if you have a V box spreader but I like the tailgate models because you can still use your truck.

16. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

i run magic salt so packing is not a problem.

17. RichterNo1

RichterNo1 Junior Member

thanks a lot cet

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

No problem, glad to help. It is a lot of money to spend if it is not going to work. Always best to ask all the questions before you buy because after is to late.