1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-Mail Customers??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by BigDaddyMac, Jan 28, 2010.

1. BigDaddyMac

BigDaddyMac Junior Member
    from IL

Have you started asking your clients for their email addresses?

I'm not sure if this would help from a billing or marketing standpoint...do they even like to give out their email addresses?

2. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I have been, however only a handful wanted their invoices e-mailed.
  3. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Big Daddy... you are running about 5-10 years behind if you haven't been using email as a regular communication tool. You can create a distribution list for all of your customers, or group them by category to send out targeted sales promotions. It is also a good way to get a client to put something in writing since you can save emails and bring them up if I customer conveniently doesn't remember that they wanted to pay you for something.

No offense, but get with the times man!
  4. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I send out E mails as well at the end of the month for billing, works best this way. Also most of the new customers I get contact me threw Email.

Regular mail may someday become a thing of the past, maybe hard to believe but I wouldn't be surprised.
  5. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

I send out updates about each storm, when I wil be heading out, and how it was and what to watch out for. just a friendly reminder, I still bill through the mail though. Email is just used to keep them in the loop. Although I have used emails to remind people about outstanding balances
    Customers love it, that is if they have an email address
  6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Whats great about it is most people have email on there phone so you can get them at any time day or night. Heck my boss at the day job won't answer his phone but if i text or email him i get a response in a few min. if he is in a meeting or something he can still reply..

If your not using email to deal with customers you better hurry up and start or they will use someone who does.
    AC2717, Doing what your doing is awsome, it keeps your name fresh in there mind all the time and people like to be in the loop.
  7. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

Yeah they love it. Also because I can check it whenever, they shoot me emails for storms below the trigger to come out and clean. Also Like today where scattered areas could get up to 2 to 3 inches. I shoot an email out with my thoughts after reading a couple of forecasts, I attach a forecast, and then my plan to come out and my start time so expect to see in that time frame, or if you need me out there because something is going on let me know, and then ask them for what they want, and always leave it, if I do nto hear back from you and I head out, I will clean you out.

Then when I get back home I email people to let them know road conditons and if they have any problems to let me know.

Litterally the initial email takes about 3 minutes of my time and the last one about one minute, but it generates a lot of touch and contact with customers, also stops the annoying are you coming out phone calls and I do not see you phone calls, which is the best part

Also it is an easy way from them to give your contact to someone else. For some reason email addresses are easy to remember and pass on, plus they coudl just forward it

Dam, just gave out a trade secret!
  8. joyofFluidFilm

joyofFluidFilm Senior Member

9. BigDaddyMac

BigDaddyMac Junior Member
    from IL

thanks guys - just never thought they'd like to give out email addresses. really like the idea of using it for storm updates - was primarily thinking invoicing & quoting...
  10. invoices via e-mail (unless requested otherwise). Statements are mailed USPS at the end of the month.
  11. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I started using email for my invoicing for all my accounts that would allow it, and I receive payments in half the time as regular. I love this! Not everyone is on board yet, but they're coming around. I rarely send out much in the way of regular snail mail anymore. Telephone or email, that's where its at.
  12. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

People like to stay connected electronically or through text. Why would someone complain about a text saying "I'll be there in 10 minutes" if they stay they check their texts versus having to talk on the phone. Back in the 90's I was "innovative" by using a cell phone to tell my delivery customers I was going to be there in 5 minutes so they can meet me at the door. This is the new innovation