1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-Brake Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by BillyRgn, Jan 31, 2007.

1. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

hey guys i was wondering if any one could tell me what this means, on my 2000 GMC 2500 (New body Style), when i put the emergency brake on the light on the dash board that says it on, is flashing, it does not matter if the truck is in drive, neutral, reverse, or park. I can't seem to find anything on this, i don't no if this means it needs replacing or service, but the brake does still work, thanks.

2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

on my 99 1/2 ton (new body style) the brake light stays on in park ,and flashes in all other gears..(when the parking brakes on) it may have something to do with the day time running lights.. when you start mine and the parking brakes on,the day time lights don't come on..(until you release the e-brake) other than that sorry i don't know much

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Do your DRL's work properly? Did somebody at one point disable them? This will effect you parking brake icon as the DRL's and the brake light icon use the same switch on the parking brake mechanism. It's no big deal though,the brake will still work properly.

4. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

i don't no if someone disabled them ,are you talking about pushing the dome override 3 times ??? because i have done that, but then again i wonder if it has something to do with the plow wiring - thanks

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What I mean is are your DRL's coming on on their own in the day time like they should?

6. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

E brake

The light flashes to remind you that the brake is on. If you drive with the brake on it will chime like when you leave your lights on. If at night with automatic headlights like mine the headlights will not go on automatically if the p-brake is on. It is normal to flash, if it stays on all the time then you have a problem. Side note gm recalled trucks with manual trans do to a defect in the p-brake shoes. Same thing on the autos but no recall cause you can put it park and not worry about it rolling.

7. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

the DRL's work like there suposed to but the brake light flashes when it in park

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

OK, if you apply the e-brake and then start the truck do the DRL's stay off? And when you release the brake do the DRL's come on? I know it sound's like a bunch of useless question's but the e-brake indicator is wired through the DRL module and if the module is defective it will cause weird things to happen with the e-bake icon on the dash.

9. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

when i start the truck with the e- brake on the drl's are off, when i release the e brake they come on

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, I'd say your DRL module is ok but for some reason the truck think's that it's in gear even though it's actually in park.That's why the brake icon is flashing. It could be a poor connection somewhere in the wiring that feed's the body control module or DRL module from the E-brake wiring circuit or in the gear position switch wiring.

11. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

do you think it is something i should be worried about or not even be bothered by it ?? also thank you for all the help

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If everthing else work's fine and you don't mind the light flashing then there's no need to fix it as it shouldn't cause any problem's.

13. BillyRgn

BillyRgn Senior Member

OK thank you for the help i guess i will just let it be, seeing it will probably cause more of a hassle to pull everything a part

14. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

FYI my 2000 nbs 3/4 does this too. Brake light flashes when brake is on and tranny is in park. I think this is normal behavior, but will check the manual for giggles.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, it's not normal for it to blink but like I mentioned, it won't cause any problem's. :)