1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-bay Scam

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by timm9, Dec 2, 2004.

1. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

There is an e-bay auction Item# 3856321187 for a Bobcat Toolcat utility priced at $3,750.00 that is a scam. The Seller is located Montreal but the unit is actually owned by Miller Implements in WI. This is the second time this has been put up for auction under different screen names and E-bay has pulled in once already.
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

How do you know? Just curious.
  3. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Don't buy stuff off Ebay from other countries. US law doesn't apply there. I know few people that got scammed from Canada.
  4. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I know because I contacted bobcat International with the serial number and found out who the original purchaser was, then called the dealer that sold it. The unit is sitting in the dealers yard. The dealer also contacted e-bay and had the first auction pulled.
  5. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Ebay can provide some good deals but the scams are out there. Almost daily I check ebay I search Kubota in Canada only to see what might be for sale. Twice there was what I was looking for within two hours of my house and with the buy it know price 1/3 of what it should be. Both times the seller vanished when I asked for the serial num. One time the guy kept emailing me more info on how I could pay "international money order and a separate holding company" I asked again for the serial num. and he responded with the account number of the holding company plus his Name and address. On ebay it said Toronto his email said Check republic. I told him I would send the money after I received the serial num. He never replied.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

there are alot of scammers who even try to make you feel more at ease by using escrow accounts

if its too good to be true- it is

I usually figure out if its a scam right away by telling them I have someone local who is going to inspect, pay for and pick the item up, when you get no response that usually answers your doubts
  7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

$3750 would be a heck of a buy. Like they say anything that sounds to good to be true probably is.
  8. bolensdriver

How would the seller, located in canada, know the serial number in Wisconsin?
  9. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

According to the dealer in WI, the Seller got the serial number off an ad the dealer was running. If you are concerned that what I'm saying is not the truth, you can call Miller Implements in WI at 920-773-2800
  10. bolensdriver

I do believe you. I'm glad I have neber been ripped off on ebay. Hopefully no one buys the machine.
  11. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

ohh No!!

I think the same guy tried to pull that stunt with a exmark 65 hours on it
    + a track vac 8hp all for $3000.00. I emailed him extensively asking why he was asking so low $$$$. Wouldn't't answer my questions directly. Just wanted my money. He said he would do square trade but ? Said he was in Greece and had to sell the machine out of Canada. The post disappeared later that day then reappeared saying the machine was in Chicago. Crazy Man Crazy
  12. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I have been in the market for another skid steer and watching ebay a lot. There are tons of scams on ebay with any high dollar item... I see 4-6 Bobcats a week listed as 1 or 3 day auctions. Everyone wants you to contact them by private e-mail,,,All are scams :nono: :nono:
  13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Don't worry, there are plenty of scams going on within the US to keep you occupied too. Having been scammed on smaller items from the US believe me when I say it doesn't matter where its from.

I would say that large purchases, if you decide to make them, should be done by using Paypal for a DEPOSIT, with the balance made via money order ON PICKUP of the item. That gives you a chance to look the item over first before handing over the $. If you think its a scam, you walk away. And remember Paypal offers certain protection as well.

Again, if it looks too good to be true, it usually is.

Another item to watch for is people who sell items really cheap, then force you to pay astronomical shipping costs, disguised as "Handling Fees". $10 handling on a $2 item is bogus too, remember handling charges need to be disclosed in the ad ahead of time. And people who use larger handling charges are avoiding ebay fees (illegal) to make more money and can be reported.

Ebay is a dangerous place, definately a buyer-beware atmosphere.
  14. intlco

intlco Senior Member

It's no surprise. The owner of Ebay himself is a fraud and that is why he will not list his real name or phone number or email address.
    I refuse to do business with these guys. If the state of CA was honest, they'd go in and shut down Ebay.

I know that in Montana, you can't use a fake company name, to hide your real name, street address, and phone. Here it's illegal and the SOS will shut u down.
  15. bolensdriver

What I'd do is create a fake s/n with false info, and bid on every item that guy sells, and never pay. He can't do anything as he is breaking the law himself, so he won't be reporting it to anyone. So, everytime you bid with a fake s/n, no one will get ripped off.