1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

e-60 was leaking down,now wont raise

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by MACDADDY0401, Dec 21, 2006.

1. MACDADDY0401

MACDADDY0401 Junior Member
    from indiana

hi folks- im really scratching my head right now.I have a E-60 pump, I had had the blade on earlier in the month,then noticed a bad spot on one of my hoses, so I changed it out.
    afterwards when I raised the blade,it wouldnt stay up - at first it would drop a few inches and stop,but if I pushed on it, it went all the way down (straight) I tried it a few more times,but then it just started dropping straight down on its own in about 30sec. So I topped of the myer fluid(i heard a little air hiss out of the fill nut). Tried it again,and this time it held up !! - I pushed on it, angled it, and so on, ran it up and down a few more times,and it still held good!,I thought id fixed it,,,But after 10minutes it slowly droped straight down again!.. So, I headed back out to raise it, and this time as i pushed the up button on my pad, the motor started to raise,then it started making a skipping/ clicking noise like a seloniod kicking out! The blade did manage to 'skip' up eventually,terrible sounding. So then I lowered it to look things over-I didnt see anything wrong. Now it wont come up,,,, yeah the motor starts to raise, but it wont come up and it sounds like a selonoid clicking out as soon as the slack is gone in the chain. and even on the ground it wont angle or anything. Any ideas on this piece of work?????
    thanks !
    ron

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mac, recheck your fluid level. You might need to add some.When these pump's suck air due to a low fluid level they'll make some funky noises. Start there and then check back with us to let us know.

3. MACDADDY0401

from indiana

Hold On- Forget All I Said At The End

well, dumb me - the clicking/selonoid noise was a weak/dead battery !!!! duh !
    so, im back to my original problem- Im full of myer fluid-
    i raise the plow fine- but it will drop straight down- sometimes it will pause about 6"from the ground and hold there for 5 minutes, then it goes all the way down. If I bump it up - it starts falling again. So bottom line, is the blade wont stay up. Every time I raise it,, it slowly drops straight down, no loss of fluid- at one point as it was almost on the ground i loosened my fill nut, to be greated by a strong spit of air, followed by that pretty blue fluid on my clothes. since then, no air is comming out, the fluid is full.
    any ideas ???
    thanks !!
    ron

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok,so it used to hold the blade up with no problem until you changed the hose today, correct? Just want to get the facts straight.

5. LON

LON Senior Member

can be a number of things

One that came in this week had a piece missing in the white back-up ring on the black wire valve that allowed the o-ring to get "misplaced" in its' hole. It allowed a slow leak down.
    Ram barrel base o-ring could of blown out. I've seen them get hard and brittle.
    Packing cup on ram may have gone.
    Red wire valve may have a cut o-ring.
    Could go on..................

6. MACDADDY0401

from indiana

Leaking Straight Down

hi folks -well, yes this problem started after I changed my hose ( I had my blade on earlier last month,although i never had to plow,so the truck sat most the time-I guess its possible it may hay been creeping down those couple times i drove it out back,hmmm)
    At least after changing out the hose, I noticed it dropping just as soon as raise it now.
    I did experience a problem like this 2 years ago and I had to replace the o ring on my ram, and barrel base,(the packing cup looked good) I do recall some pitting on the ram though*) and when i bought the truck 3yrs ago,i had to put in a new a & b valve.
    last year was the only time i didnt need to work on it- So im kinda wondering if after changing the hose if there is somehow more air in the system that I need to get out, or, like a few years ago, maybe ive got to dig into the barrel and check my o-rings.
    Another question, when you hear people ask if it drops straight or at an angle- does that narrow the problem down, to say, the ram o-ring, vs one of the valve o rings ??. My blade will drop straight down in less than a minute, well unless it gets to a spot about 6" off the ground,then it holds there for 5 minutes, then will take off and finish dropping to the ground.
    if anything.
    I may start popping out valves this weekend and cleaning /inspecting- then move on the the barrel/ram unit.
    let me know what you think -
    ps
    Merry Christmas to all of you - and thank you for your advice and help !!!!

7. LON

LON Senior Member

Down & to the left mean it's in the red wire valve.
    Straight down means quite a few different locations.
    I'd start w/ the ram & barrel. Do you store the unit w/ the ram extended and coated w/ grease as the manual says? If not I suspect that the barrel is pretty pitted and the leak is past your packing cup. By storing it w/ the ram down it allows the inside of the barrel to gather moisture and rust. This could explain the stopping 6" then going again as it is leaking down to the point where it has been stored.
    Lon

8. MACDADDY0401

from indiana

Lon - I Think You Might Be On To Something !!

well, no I did not store it properly, I simply had the the blade down to ground level, and took it all off like that- so- the ram was probably 3/4 in the barrel. I'll bet you are right.. So I will need to get into the barrel and see what it looks like -Id imagine its pitted - If so, is thet something that I can just doll up with a little emery cloth ?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mac,if your gonna tear it down to check the cylinder and your already pretty sure it's not going to look too good then I'd recommend just replacing it rather than trying to "doll" it up.The cylinder's are not very expensive.Before you tear it apart though try pulling the A valve out and giving it a good cleaning and a close examination of the O-ring's to make sure it's not the problem.

10. LON

LON Senior Member

Well, you can polish a pig but when your done all you're going to have is a polished pig. If the ram is pitted already then I imagine that you're going to need to replace the ram & barrel along w/ the seals.

11. MACDADDY0401

from indiana

E60

OK,-well sounds like i might just end up getting some new parts - I'll tear it apart this weekend and see what it looks like now. I will post again with how I came out.
    thanks alot guys !!!
    Merry Christmas

12. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

If the ram is damaged, there will be fluid leaking around the seal and ram, and then down the front of the housing. Do you see any fluid leaks?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the ram packing cup leak's thus allowing the plow to drop it wont necessary leak out the top of the pump unit.Usually it just fill's the cylinder up until it overflow's back into the reservoir.

14. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

So, the reservoir is part of the cylinder abd uses a second seal, I gotcha. I am used to the old style cylinders.

Jason

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yea, there not setup like a conventional hydraulic cylinder. Their more similar to a bottle jack than a hydraulic cylinder. LOL!