1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 slow movement

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Smokey5826, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

I have a problem that I am completely stumped on.

All new wiring on truck and pump (new to me truck - 2007 silverado 2500HD classic), new double post motor, rebuilt e-60 last plow season. All 3 valves / solenoids are less than 1 year old and check out good. New hose couplers. New battery in truck.

Plow drops perfectly, but up and directional angles are very slow and dims lights and drops battery gauge. Pump pressure is set within Meyer specs. I changed out the internal gear pump to see if this was the problem, but did not change speed. I use low temp fluid and already flushed and changed without improvement also checked filters/screens (clean).

Anything else anyone would suggest I investigate? I appreciate your time in advance.

2. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

ground id look there 1st then your batt

3. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

Grounds are all good and battery is brand new

4. kashman

then id look at your volt reg in your alt

5. kashman

or u got a bad motor for the pump check its draw when in use new or not they can fail

6. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

I have 2 motors and they are both doing the same. I will look into the alt - I do know that it is the larger 145 amp alt. Thanks for the input - always interested to hear other suggestions

7. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Think about a dual battery setup. Mine dims the lights pretty good sometimes. Someday here soon I'm going to put a second one in mine. I will say though, with only one battery in mine it doesn't run terribly slow.

8. kashman

just take it to autozone have them load test it with the plow running its free . that will tell you if it the alt or just the reg

9. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

I will try to load test tomorrow - how would the results / reading differ between an alt issue or regulator issue?

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Can ask what you are comparing it to? Also when did you rebuild the pump or did you have it rebuilt? Did you personal test the pressure? What condition was the o rings under the gear pump when installed the new one?

I agree with the others that it is most likely a wiring issue, but just want to cover all the bases.

11. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

sound like you either have a wiring problem with the truck, or the pump motor is drawing too much current. did you do a current test to see how much it is drawing?

12. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

I have been plowing quite some time - I am comparing it to past as well as someone elses e60. . I rebuilt the pump (I've rebuilt over 30 E-60s). I personally tested the pressure. The o-rings under the gear pump were not worn or damaged - they visually appear as new. I am using the quick connect power cables on the pump and they (both the positive and negative cables) run directly to the brand new battery terminals.

13. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I start by saying "What's changed?" The truck is different from last year, the wiring, etc. If it worked after the rebuild fine on the old truck, I'd be looking at the things that are different. Still lots to look at, but maybe a direction to go at least. Keep us posted, I'm all about learning stuff along the way.

14. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

cwby_ram - I completely understand the "what's changed" way of thinking. I am going to check a few other suggestions that were mentioned earlier in this post (and bang my head against the wall - LOL) relating to the regulator / alternator. I really appreciate all the input so far - hopefully I can solve this problem and post the findings...

If anyone has other ideas not yet mentioned lets hear them.

15. kashman

where in cleveland are you im close 2 ctown 2 eyes are better then 1

16. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

I'm in Solon area - I've decided that I am going to add a 2nd battery in the truck tonight - wire it up and then test the regulator / alternator tonight (or tomorrow). My current battery is only about 2 weeks old so I figured add the 2nd battery before there is too big of a time gap between the two batteries. Hopefully this issue is solved between these tasks. I will keep this thread posted.

17. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How do the ends of the power cables look were the terminals are clamped on? Any corrosion? Have had battery cables with this issue, so thought it may be worth mentioning.

18. Smokey5826

Smokey5826 Junior Member

Well, as update like I promised. I just finished installing a 2nd battery in the truck. I ran 2/0 copper from "+ to +" and "- to -" as I have done in previous trucks. The lights dim very slightly (a lot less than with only 1 battery) and the plow seems to be moving a little faster, I will have a better feel for it during the next plow. The gauge on the dash also seems much more stable, it only moves slightly, but thats expected.

Kimber - there is no corrosion anywhere on the truck / power cables / etc... I know that feeling, I have dealt with corrosion issues my whole life until I decided to bite the bullet and get this truck.