1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 shuts down on overload

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Ohio Bob, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Junior Member
    from Ohio

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I'm new.........

I bought a truck w/ plow and I'm trying to get ready for the winter. It has the touch pad controller.

The plow is not on the truck, just the lift. I can hear the pump run when operating left and right. Try up or down, the overload light comes on and shuts the system down. Turn the controller off and back on, the system will work.

I changed out the main power / control solenoid under the hood. NO CHANGE.

Suggestions? I've looked at several troubleshooting guides, but!!!!

Thanks,

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

A and/or B coils on plow or bad control.

3. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

check your ground. whenever it happens on mine is a dirty connection on the ground cable, usually in the quick disconnect plug.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The plow is not on the truck, just the lift. I can hear the pump run when operating left and right.

Start by putting the plow on the trk and trying it. Then report back.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Clean EVERYTHING electrical and search the harness for a dead short in the Black and Red wires. Remove the coils from the valves and clean the corrosion from between them and check then for proper resistance/operation and possible shorts. The issue is in the circiuts operated by the red and black wires. Normally it's just a single bad coil so I'm guessing LOTS of corrosion or a pinched harness.

6. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Junior Member
    from Ohio

Will give this a try. Makes sense, I just didn't know where to start. Thanks.

Will let you know.

7. JeepCoMJ

JeepCoMJ Senior Member

Overload? take the end cap off the motor. Tons of white corrosion in it? Remove, clean it thoroughly, wire wheel the mounting plate.

Always tighten the motor mount bolts slightly until you hear them and feel them move, then loosen...I have never broken an e60 bolt with this method.

8. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Junior Member
    from Ohio

OK, here's the scoop........

I started checking everything out. Found nothing. Swapped the solinoids and the problem moved. I put them back the way they started. Swapped the leads in the harness @ the barrel plug and the problem moved. I cleaned all the connections and the problems went away.

I used dielectric grease on EVERYTHING to help prevent this in the future. All is well with the world again......

Thank you all for your help and information.

The plow is mounted on a 1989 F-350 with 33,000 miles. I think the biggest problem was lack of use.