1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 rebuild

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cbeard, Jan 14, 2010.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I am in the process of rebuilding a E-60. Everything disassembled except seperating the PA block from the sump base. Four allen cap-screws giving me a fit. Any suggestions on how to get them out? I am soaking them with WD-40.

2. LON

LON Senior Member

usually not fun to get out. They typically grow fast to the aluminum in the block vs threads. Try heating the block carefully to the point that you can melt a candle against the head of the bolts and allow it work its' way down thru.
    There is only 3 o-rings to replace so why take it off if there isn't a problem with leakage?

Lon

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Use PB blaster and Fluid Film only thing WD-40 is good for is killing bees.

4. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

Last 2 I have rebuilt I have had to drill them out. Tried heating and blaster but it did not work. Best to remove the pump and use a drill press. Drill first with a 5/16 drill. Once you get thru the head of the bolts that are stuck the block comes right off, Next use a 1/2 drill bit to clear the head of the bolt from the block. As you are drilling the head of the bolt you will feel the head free. Be careful not to go to deep. This is real easy to do with cobalt bits. Scott

5. cbeard

cbeard Member

Thanks guys. The last one I rebuilt I had to only drill out 1 bolt. LON II am just kind of compulsive about my rebuilds or for that matter anything I do! When I replaced the bolts on the last rebuild with SS cap screws and loaded them with Never-Seeze. Will that help if they had to be removed? There is a plug on the bottom of the PA block is that a drain?

Thanks again
    Chris

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. LON

LON Senior Member

I use copper never seize on the bolts. Cover the whole bolt w/ it.
    Yes, that socket head plug is the drain.

7. broncscott

broncscott Senior Member

The socket on the bottom of the PA is access to the pilot check valve spring and ball. If you get on the Meyer website you can download the rebuild manual for your pump. Make sure you put the correct ball in its place

8. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

No , it is the plug to access the pilot check valve , the drain is under the sump , 1/4" socket drive.

TOM

9. cbeard

cbeard Member

Thanks for all the help. I got all the bolts out without drilling or heating. After the WD-40 soak overnight I cut a allen wrench down to 1" and took a 1/4" Snap-on socket and a breaker bar to free the bolts. I tapped on the pump housing with a small hammer while applying some pressure. The small socket and allen wrench went down into the PA block. So the allen wrench didn't flex and break. Hope this might help someone in the future.

Thanks,
    Chris