1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E 60 Question

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by AHammen, Dec 29, 2008.

1. AHammen

AHammen Member

Well I don't know if anyone will have an answer for this but this is the place to ask.
    My E 60 starting dropping down slowly when in the up position, very slowly, it would take probably 10 minutes for it to be completly touching the ground. So I figured it had an internal leak somewhere. It has been snowing every other day so I never had a chance to take it to the dealer.
    This week I had the truck in my heated shop (normally never inside a heated shop/garage) to replace the electric motor that had been acting up. After I put the new motor on I left the truck in the shop overnight to thaw out. Now the plow isn't leaking down anymore. So did thawing everything out fix my problem or was it some how related to the bad motor or am I going to have the problem again? Oh and all my valves are new so I know it isn't a valve issue.
    Thanks for any thoughts/comments.
    AJ

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could have been ice interfering with the "A" valve. Change your fluids and use a good premium plow fluid (meyer,western,boss,snoway)m when you refill.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The leak down isn't in any way related to the motor. More like either a worn O-ring or packing cup that seals up during higher ambient temps (seen than one more than once) or like Basher already mentioned, a little ice in the system. A good through flush would be a wise investment.

4. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey B&B was going to send you a pm on this topic but while we are here mine does the same thing which O ring are talking about got the book out now. They also talk about the sump base but have placed some actuator grease on the ram helps. Post in the past have talked about ram seal also Your thoughts Eric.....

5. fernalddude

Packing cup at the bottom of ram Item 30?

e60.jpg

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A bad O-ring was in reference to either the one at the base of the cylinder (seals the cylinder to the sump) or one of the O-rings on the A valve.

The packing cup is of course the seal at the base of the ram itself. As they wear they tend to leak by...allowing the ram to slowly sink back into the cylinder.

Seldom is it the sump base itself that causes a leak down issue.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. :waving:

8. fernalddude

Ok quick check for e60 and e60 h item 2 from meyer?

e60h.jpg

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It depends on the age of your pump as to whether it will have the older 1 1/4" piston assembly (which was once the only one for the E60) or the newer 1 3/4" assembly like all E60H's used.

Best thing to do is just order a seal kit as you need more than just the packing cup itself in order to replace it. And until you purchase all the individual seals necessary to replace the packing, you can buy the whole seal kit and have them all...including BOTH sizes of the packing cups.

Good time to do a good internal cleaning as well if it's been a while. :)

10. fernalddude

At my other job at a chemical plant. I'm a instrument tech and we do process control so along with all the electrical stuff we also rebuild all types of control valves, solenoid's rams etc. so we have every type wipes, o-rings, packing , and can machine anything so I take complete advantage of the resources. We can machine anything what type material is the packing cup. Getting the kit sounds the way to go if it has both. Thanks again for your help Eric..:salute:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  11. sno&go

sno&go Member

Better off just buying the right seal kit made for meyer plows. Those o-rings that come in the kit are the correct size and replacing them with an o-ring that is "close" in size will cause the valve to leak or fail. The kit is only $20.00 from any plow part supplier.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't agree more. No sense causing any possible issues for yourself to save a few dollars as their not all just regular old standard O-rings. :salute:

13. AHammen

AHammen Member

Whats the procedure for replacing the packing cup? I might as well just go ahead and do it now. Is it pretty straight forward?

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing too difficult about it. Use the Meyer manual here E60 manual to help you with disassembly/reassembly.

1) Be sure you don't miss the sealing O-ring under the piston (item #7 on the exploded view).

2) Be sure to soak the packing cup in plow fluid before installing it.

3) Make sure the cylinder bore is in good shape. If its scored heavily or rusted/pitted replace it or else it will tear up you new packing in short order.

Take your time, and keep everything clean and you should have no issues...

15. AHammen

AHammen Member

Thanks, I just ordered the parts so hopefully it will quit snowing for a day or two so I can get it done.