1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 pump drops down from fully raised postition

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dlcs, Nov 10, 2008.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I just rebuilt my E-60 pump becuase the ram would not stay up. Well it stays up now but drifts down about a 1/2"-1" after a few seconds. This pump did the same thing last year after it was rebuilt buy a local plow shop, then eventually it would not raise at all. I've also tried a new c valve and coil but did not help. Not sure what else there is to do. i know this pump will eventually fail all together. Any suggestions?

2. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I would start by checking the A valve

3. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Oops, I meant to say i replaced the A valve and coil not the c valve and coil.

4. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Anything else that I should try?

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it angle to the left a little as it drops...or just drops straight down an inch or two and stops?

6. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Just drops straight down about a 1/2' or 1 " and stops.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like the very top of the lift cylinder bore is/was rusted or heavily pitted so the packing cup on the lift ram can't hold a good seal when its up in that pitted area of the cylinder. Once it leaks down to a good smooth section of the bore, the ram seal can then get a good seal on the cylinder bore...thus holding it's position.

Would also explain why it began not lifting after some use after last seasons "rebuild" as the rough bore will eventually destroy the packing cups ability to do its job once it's run into that section of the cylinder enough times.

Not at all uncommon for the first inch or so of the cylinder to be in poor condition from corrosion.

8. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Thanks, when the first rebuild was done last year, the local shop had to put in a new ram due to the rust and pitting. Your reasoning makes perfect sense. I think another tear down is in order. Thanks

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Update

I'm still screwing around with CPW about getting the right cylinder tube for my E-60. First time they sent me one that was too large. i sent that one back and now they have sent me the rod instead.:gunsfiring: I called them yesterday and the guy said the only cylinder tube listed for the E-60 is the one that i sent back to them (part#08839). But I need the smaller one for the older E-60. What part number do i need, they say the only one is the 08839, does that one work, is that a upgrade. if so what else do i need to make that one work? BTW, CPW's employees have gotten so rude, i can't believe the difference from last season to this season.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The p/n for the original E60 tube is 15694...which was superseded to the current p/n they sent you.

But I'm sure if you also checked around you can simply find the old 15694 tube that you really only need in the first place. Plenty of dealers will still have them in stock, including the other online dealers I'm sure.

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Well, its been awhile since I started this thread. We eventually put the new tube in but never got around to trying this unit out. Well to make a long story short, i put this E-60 on the truck tonight to try it out and it does the same thing as before. What else would cause the ram to drop a 1/2" or so in a few minutes? We only have this problem with this particular unit.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Will it still hold the weight indefinitely after it drops the initial inch or so?

13. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Yes, it will hold the weight of the plow(CP-8), after it drops a little. My fear is that it will eventually get to where it will not even lift the plow, as that what eventually happened before, the last three rebuilds. After a night of plowing, the unit gets to where all of a sudden it goes from dropping a little, to not being able to even lift the plow.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well after three 'rebuilds' and multiple parts replaced you're beyond the normal components and causes that could be probable. Do you have a spare A valve you'd be willing to permanently sacrifice to make a tool for testing purposes?

15. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

just had to chime in on this one. Sounds like my old probs Thanks B&B again I think U just cant help yourself on helping eveybody lol:mechanic:

16. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I do believe that I have a spare in the truck. What do i need to do? I'll try anything.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Great. Remove all the O-rings from it, weld the end closed, clean it up, replace the O-rings (new ones if you have them), install it in the pump and then lift the blade and see if it now holds. I keep one of these home brewed "test valves" in my box of goodies at all times for issues such as this so it's a worthwhile tool for anyone when running Meyer. Saves a great deal of time, assumption, and cost right off the bat when you have a leak down issue. A little messy when you remove it afterwards sure but still well worth it.

18. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I'll give that a try, I'll post back soon. Thanks

19. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Well, that didn't help. Any other suggestions? Looking at the Meyer website, they say new base if all else fails. Well it has a new base. The original rebuilder broke the original base after the first rebuild, so that is new. I'm pulling my hair out over this. Anyone else have this problem?

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If the sump itself had an issue it wouldn't partially leak down rather it would drop all the way. Ever replace the B valve or the spring or ball under it? Ever check any of it for wear/damage? If the ball doesn't seal tight against the bottom of the B valve fluid will leak out of the lift ram and back through the B valve as the B valve isn't air tight.