1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 problems ... any ideas?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by mikeyone, Feb 10, 2009.

1. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Hi, I bought a rebuilt e-60 pump and have been having some strange problems, at first I thought it wasn't getting a good ground and or maybe not enough voltage from the charging system. so I changed all of the ground and pos cables with 4 gauge wire am running 2 batteries and 2 alts.110 amp on the truck side and 140 amp on plow side even put 4 gauge wire from alt to batteries..still same problems... when lifting the plow it seems to draw alot and doesn't always go all the way up, when it is up and you keep trying to lift it up, it turns slightly to the right. and I also noticed that while turning the plow left and any time you let off it stops right now and while turning right it kinda gradualy stops, I have tried changing the A and B valves and coils, checked filters. still does the same thing any Ideas?????

2. sefh

sefh Senior Member

It sounds like you have enough amps to run everything. Just curious what kind of truck are you putting this on? It sounds like your motor might be getting weak. If your motor is straining it will draw tooo many amps. With the angling issue are you using toggle switches or a touch pad?

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you need a new electric motor

4. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Well this setup is on a 83 gmc pickup, It does have a 8' blade. I was just running 110 amp alt with 2 batteries before but it didn't seem to keep up and I had a new 140 amp laying around so I thought I would put it in place of the ac pump and try that, seems to recover quicker that way voltage wise. And I am using toggle switches that was set up with e47 prior. only difference I noticed was it angles opposite directions then it used to with the e47. but I figured it's because the pump is mounted opposite way.

5. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Today I had someone lift the plow while I watched it. I noticed that as soon as it starts lifting the blade that it starts turning to the right all the way up.The blade turns about an inch or two each time the blade is raised and lowered what is making it do this?

6. Chives10

Chives10 Junior Member

Sounds like you need a new c valve

7. sefh

sefh Senior Member

post an email and I'll send you a manual.

8. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

I already downloaded a service manual and it doesn't say anything about it turning while raising that I seen.

9. sefh

sefh Senior Member

Did you get it fixed yet? I would try a new C valve.

10. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Ok so today I changed the C valve and coil. I did notice an o-ring was torn on the c valve I replaced ,but still no difference. if anything now things are getting worse.after plowing the driveway the plow only wants to go up about half way and still turns slightly as it does go up

11. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

well now I found a gauge laying around but it only goes up to 2000 I was doing some reading and figured it wouldn't hurt to try and check the line pressure and so I did and it only went up to 1500 when I angled the blade all the way.

12. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Now I am getting scared... I have turned the screw for the pressure adj in 2 turns now and seems to have lost 200 psi ?

13. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

so today I spent more hungies on this junk thing and it is really making me mad. I bought another motor for it put that on, pump gears seem to turn easy, and another new b valve still the same thing... pressure about 1300psi and cant get it to go any higher by adjusting it.now i have no idea what to do

14. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Does anyone know what would cause low pressure? would the pump check valve cause this or the gear pump its self? or maybe something in the relief valve? if I take the gear pump out what should I look for? Because I had to plow today I put my old e-47 back on and checked the pressure on that which was 1600psi about where it should be,everything works great. the only reason I upgraded to a e-60 was they are so much faster and my e-47 is 20 years old and needed a top seal,I changed that and except for I am still getting soft stops when I angle one way and instant stop when angling the other way but that must be in the couplers.or maybe some air because everything else has been changed so that eliminates a lot of things.

15. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Have you ever had a feeling that your just talking to yourself?

16. Chives10

Chives10 Junior Member

did you replace your pump? did you tighten the allen key below the pressure adjustment? if you did all of this you might need to install a new base. check your crossover relief valve. see if the spring is broke. or before you replace the base maybe take your valve body off your e47 and install it on your e60

17. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

make sure the positive bolt on the pump is not grounding out. it has 2 plastis washers in between the bolt and the pump, if they are cracked it will ground out causing it to strain and draw a lot of amps, could be the solenoid for the pump, or the controller trying to do 2 things at once. could be the pa block or the orings in between the pa block and base, the last thing is the pilot check valve not sealing all the way. i hope i could help some

18. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

crossover relief could be stuck to one side more than the other also. hope this can help.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  19. meyere60

meyere60 Senior Member

it stop suddenly to the left cause it doese not take a valve to angle it. when going to the right it stops when the c valve closes. if you use a joy stick instead of the pad it will act like that also.

20. mikeyone

mikeyone Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I decided to tear into the pump to see if I could find anything wrong. What I found was the o-ring that goes between the plate and the gear pump was almost totally gone. I just hope that's what was wrong. It makes sense to me that if it was leaking and I turned the pressure up it may have finished it off.I have ordered a seal kit to put in it so in a few days I will know something more.