1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 Pistol Grip Pad or Joy Stick?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by marblehead, Jan 13, 2009.

1. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Would like to hear from folks out there as to their preference between the Meyer Pistol Grip touch pad or the Joy Stick unit. We've used the now-osbsolete touch pad for years, have replaced it twice and are now having trouibles with the down switch on the unit. The newer pistol grip is quite pricey and I'm reluctant to make the purchase if it's going to prove as fragile as the touch pad has. On the other hand, the joy stick unit is significantly less money and looks more durable. The promotioinal pic, however, looks like it shows some bracketry that comes with it and, therefore, I'm also wondering where folks mount their joy stick units. We have a stick shift on the plow truck so would love to mount it right near the end of the shifter. . .
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

I prefer the joystick to the touch-pad. They're typically mounted to the left of the steering wheel for left hand operation while you're steering, and shifting with the right. A friend of mine has the pistol grip on a truck he operates at work, and he hates it! It's probably a matter of personal preferance, I'm sure there's people that really like the pistol grip style, but the joystick is tried and true, and I've yet to hear someone say they didn't like it. There's my $0.02 :salute:

3. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thanks, very much, for your input, which is helpful!
    Steve

4. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

I agree. That's where mine is mounted and i love it. Ive plowed with touch pads and the fisher fish stick, and i feel like my hand gets tired and they do break down. The joystick is tried and true and very reliable. Also sometimes with a touch pad u have to look down at it to find the buttons, the joystick is much simpler.

5. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thank you, as well, for your input! Joystick=2 Touchpad=0!

6. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

With a stick shift make a bracket to mount the switch to the front side of the shifter. This way you never have to move your right from the shifter. I had a jeep set up like this years ago, worked very well.

FWIW, I also prefer the dual toggle switches over the joystick. It allows you to angle the plow while moving without taking the plow out of float.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i swiched back to toggles on my dodge after 25 yrs in my old truck just couldnt get comfortable especially with gloves on plus i use to have to chase the handheld around the dash

JR

8. marblehead

marblehead Junior Member

Thanks, JR, for your input, too! I, too, have frequently found myself hunting for the touch pad in the midst of trying to drive the truck and plow. Joy Stick=3 Touch Pad=0. Can any of you who've responded send out a pic of your joy stick mounting?
    Thanks again to all,
    Steve

9. H1WAYRIDER

H1WAYRIDER Junior Member

I quit plowing for a few years, and just started again. I have an e57 with touchpad and I sure miss my old toggles. Can toggles be set up to work with the e57?

10. 04sd

04sd Senior Member
    from pa

Yes. The E57 is just an E47 with bigger pump and motor.

11. H1WAYRIDER

H1WAYRIDER Junior Member

Thanks. This equipment is used, of course, and I have been having a few issues. This site has really impressed me with the knowledge I have gleaned from it. I used to think I knew quite a bit about plowing, but the equipment has sure changed over the last 15 years!