1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 Moves down slowly

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by devinraptor, Feb 17, 2010.

1. devinraptor

devinraptor Junior Member

I have an e-60 it moves up very fast and moves down extremely slow. I just had the pump rebuilt and I have backed the adjustment screw almost all the way out and I'm noticing very little difference. Do you have any ideas? It has fresh oil and complete rebuild. It moves so slow when dropping.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did it drop slow before the rebuild? Did they replace any valves, specifically the A valve (black wire)?

3. devinraptor

yeah it dropped just like this before rebuild. I don't believe they replaced any valves. Atleast the wire has not been replaced it still the same black wire I took it in with.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd recommend replacing the A valve then as that's probably where the restriction is. They'll open but not fully, or they'll get debris trapped inside the valve itself that doesn't get removed by simply washing the exterior of the valve. Thus you end up with a restricted valve which leads to a slow drop speed even with the drop speed screw backed fully out. The Meyer p/n for the valve is 15661. This gives you a new valve and coil assembly as the coils wear too so a fresh replacement is likely in order.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  5. devinraptor

I have never replaced one of these before. How hard is this to do?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's very easy. Simply remove the nut on top of the coil, slide the coil up off the valves stem, unthread the old valve, add a few drops of fluid to the O-rings on the new valve for lubrication during the install (so they're not damaged) and simply thread the new valve in and snug it down. Then simply install the coil and the nut that holds it on. One of the easiest job to do on a Meyer pump. Just be sure there's no weight on the lift arm before starting this job. Makes a big mess otherwise.

If all this is brand new to you I highly recommend downloading and reading through the manual for these pumps. You'll learn a ton of info in a short amount of time while familiarizing yourself with they're layout and functions. You can download it here.

7. devinraptor

Thank you for the help. I'm back in business.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear Devin. You'll find that they're not that terribly complicated to work with on the general exterior common repairs that they often require as long as you have a little knowledge going in. And most that run them become well acquainted with them as you likely will too so don't be afraid to study up on the manual a little. May save you some downtime in the future.

9. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

could the "A" coil being bad also allow the blade to drop really fast as well, I have my adjustment screw almost all the way in and its still slamming down......

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No, the flow restriction for drop speed on the E60's is entirely dependent on the drop screw setting, the A valve has no bearing on it as a restriction, or not.

11. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

ok then with the screw all the way in, is that just how this pump is going to be its never been used, granted I have wings on the blade so i understand there is extra weight but I did not figure that the wings would be such a factor. could the adjustment screw not have a good enough taper on it from the factory, I have inspected the tip for corrision and mishape but it looks good

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Adding weight will of course speed it up but it should still be controllable with the drop screw. You checked the screw, however have you checked the seat in the bottom of the hole for damage/mis-machining/debris? If not be sure to do so. I've seen a couple that were way out of whack when they were originally machined. Looked like the seat was machined with a hatchet. :eek:

13. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

What do you reccomend if that is the case?? I bought off of a meyer dealer that was shutting down and no longer available... The next closest one is almost an hour away

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A good machinist can repair it after disassembling the entire pump down to the sump base, as I had the first one I discovered was defective repaired by re-machining the seat. But for the time and effort it takes to make it right I simply replaced the sump bases with a new ones from there on out.

15. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

when checking for debri should i remove the "A" valve as well? to get a better look or should i just use a q-tip or a tool pick to prod around in there? and then flush it out.

I greatly appreciate your help as do all of my customers

Thanks

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'd pull the drop screw and A valve both and blow it out good. Of course you'e going to make a mess with fluid so be ready. Shop towels and a drain pan will be handy.

17. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

thanks again and I'll let you know the outcome

18. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

okay let me ask you this, If I take out the plug and adjustment set screw, and the remove the A coil/valve, should fluid just flow out, because I did not have a constant fluid flow, there was a little bit that came out when i took the screw out but not much beyond that. Pump is functioning just fine with no issues besides the drop speed.

when I had it apart I took the air hose and blew it out real good check for debri and then put back together with preactically same situation.

ANY THOUGHTS???

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll get some fluid but no it won't generally continue to gush out and doesn't indicate any issues either way.

If the screw appears to be ok on the end then I'd have to say the the seat in the sump base is the issue. On most if you bottom the screw out it will create a good enough seal that the blade won't lower at all. Sounds like your isn't even close to being ablet to do that.

20. 90w250mm

90w250mm Member
    from indiana

I am wondering about that threads, is there a possibility that its not threaded deep enought? I was thinking about taking another 1/2 to 3/4 turn on a tap with a flat end to see if that will make a difference. Is this a little dangerous beyond making sure i get all the shavings out,