1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

E-60 Help... Plow Wont Stay Up???

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jjklongisland, Feb 22, 2008.

1. jjklongisland

jjklongisland Senior Member

Ok, I have read a couple of posts but would like some more info. My E-60 was working fine and then half way through the storm everytime I would drive to a new account the plow would start to lower. When I have it fully in the up position it holds but if its not all the way up it falls... The fluid is full and not leaking. I do notice when I put her in float and push down on the piston to manually lower it I notice some air bubbles coming from around the gasket around the cylinder. But why does it stay up when it is all the way up... Someone told me there is a ball valve that might no be working? Or sticking? If this is correct do I have to dissamble the whole damn thing to fix it... This is my second storm of the season and my plow mechanic (Best Friend) is on vacation... Please help, expecting more snow tomorrow...

Also if I plow tomorrow without fixing it and just deal with it will I damage my pump? I can definately have it pulled apart next weekend...

2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Check the A coil and Vale

3. jjklongisland

I dont have an extra A coil or Valve... If I plow with it tomorrow the way it is will I ruin my pump? I wont be able to replace it until next week

4. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Nope,

Had the same problem last year, during a large storm plowed for 2 days like that,

Mine wouldnt stay up, I had to keep raising it all the time what a PITA it was lol

5. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

probaly your sump base. i dont know much about it but mines is doing the same.

6. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I would be willing to bet that it is your top cap seal and your packing cup on the lift ram. Mine did that not too long ago and that was the issue

7. AHammen

AHammen Member

When the plow drops does it go straight down or down and to the left? If down and to the left it is a B Valve which raises and holds the plow up. Pull the B valve out and check the "o" rings, the ball (or check) valve is below the B valve, if you have a local dealer replace the check valve assembly which consists of a ball and a spring, this assembly is very cheap so it's a good place to start.

8. jjklongisland

It just drops straight down... Does not turn in either direction while droppping... I hope its not the sump base cause thats the most expensve... I guess I will first change the A coil and valve cause I think I can change that rather easy... Dont I have to take the whole pump apart to change the packing cup and seal?

9. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

problem child

i would plow till you can take it apart then look at the lift ram tube and ram cup packing ,if it hold's when all the way or partly up ,i think the lift ram tube is suspect !

10. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Well try that since it is easiest. I did my packing cup and top cap seal, put a new lift ram and lift tube in under an hour. You only need to take the top of the pump apart, which is 3 nuts to take off and you are in. Just be carefull prying the topcap off. If you do the lift ram and what not, just pm me and I can help you through it

11. jjklongisland

I took the pump off and put on my buddies spare E-47... I am gonna send the E-60 out to Angelos and have it rebuilt. The E-47 is so much slower... I will miss my E-60 until I get it back... I also realized this morning that I sheared off my passenger side bolts that hold my mounting carton to the frame... I hit a manhole cover really hard the last push of the storm and I guess the bolts sheared off... Didnt realize it till this morning when I went to plow out my Uncle. I noticed the plow flopping around and said, this cant be good... I fixed that today also...

12. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Ouch that had to hurt!!! Better make sure nothing else is tweaked or damaged. Yeah I have never had an E47, but I heard they are very slow.